FC: Query about FBI wiretaps from someone starting a free-email firm

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 12:55:53 PST

    Forwarded with permission. Previous Politech message:

    "FBI requires ISPs to permit easy surveillance; EFF founder agrees"

    From: SteelHead <bill@ries-knight.net>
    To: declanat_private, politechat_private, mrbillrkat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: FBI requires ISPs to permit easy surveillance; EFF
    founder  agrees
    Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 09:15:50 -0800
    Cc: FBI Internet Tips <siocat_private>

    Declan...

    Just wondering if there has  been anything else on this push on the part of
    the FBI?

    I am looking at opening up a service providing free email to my customers and
    the local community , but I need to know how this might affect my approach.
    I would therefore I need to dig more if this is to be a reality.

    Bill