FC: More on surveillance: Would countermeasures be illegal?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 15:57:06 PST

    Scott makes an excellent point. In fact, the version of my column that I

    Subject: RE: Weekly column: How will surveillance tech evolve in 10 years?
    Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:04:24 -0800
    From: "Scott Meredith" <scottmerat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>

    You wrote:

    There are some bright areas in this generally dismal outlook. Avi Rubin,
    an associate professor of computer science at Johns Hopkins University,
    predicts growing interest in antisurveillance measures. "I expect there
    will be a whole industry popping up in counter-surveillance--at least, I
    hope," Rubin said. "Nowadays, it's not like someone drops a camera and
    comes back and retrieves the data. You attack the transmission."
    <

    I believe this line misses the point. Sure it is fun to envision a
    free-wheeling kind of Kevin Kelly scenario of bright-boys techno/gadget
    arms-race of Spy vs Spy. Might even re-invigorate the Valley, right ?

    This Tom Swift thinking misses the point entirely.

    It doesn't matter how effective "antisurveillance measures" might be
    technically, the fact remains that all such will be ILLEGAL. That means,
    once anybody, in a fit of Libertairan righteousness, deploys any such
    A-S technology, they will have become criminals, and can be mopped up,
    or used, at the State's leisure.

    So from the State's point of view, the more "antisurveillance measures",
    the merrier, as it all leads in the (obviously) desired direction of
    total criminalization of the entire population.

    -Scott Meredith