FC: Why did the Neo Project halt work on hacking Microsoft's Xbox?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 15:49:01 PST

    ----- Forwarded message from Eric Cordian <emcat_private> -----

    From: Eric Cordian <emcat_private>
    Subject: The Microsoft Xbox Key
    To: cypherpunks
    Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:37:49 -0800 (PST)

    Slashdot is reporting that The Neo Project, a distributed computing
    effort, has ceased trying to factor Microsoft's Xbox binary signing key,
    due to "legal reasons," and the fact that many of their current
    participants don't want to be soiled by association with something having
    a nefarious reputation.

    The Xbox public RSA key is 2048 bits in length, and its digits may be
    found at http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/articles.php?aid=200235404321

    Michael Robertson, the Lindows CEO, is funding two $100k prizes for Linux
    on the Xbox.  The first was to run Linux on a modded Xbox, and the second
    is to devise some method of running Linux on an unmodded Xbox, for which
    factoring the aforementioned RSA key is one satisfactory approach amongst
    several.

    The Microsoft Xbox is internally an Windows 2000 box, with a 733 mhz 0.18
    micron Coppermine Mobile Celeron, 64 MB of DDR RAM on two high speed
    channels, a 10 GB disk, custom nVidia GPU, Ethernet, 4 USB ports, a 5x
    DVD-ROM drive, and a Dolby capable audio processor, all at a lovely price
    point of $199.

    It is said that Microsoft loses money on every one sold, and the box would
    certainly make a lovely Linux box or Web Server providing you could run
    something other than Microsoft-signed binaries on it.

    You can of course run anything on your Xbox if you modchip it, but this
    requires taking it apart, voiding the warranty, getting permanently
    blacklisted for Microsoft's online gaming services, and other bad things.

    Also, only a tiny fraction of Xbox owners are going to bother modchipping
    their systems, and for the Xbox to become a popular general purpose
    computer, the ability to just burn any software you want on a DVD and cram
    it in the slot on an unmodified Xbox is required.

    Ignoring for the moment that The Neo Project had zero chance of factoring
    a 2048 bit key using publicly available algorithms, their caving under
    imagined legal pressure strikes me as a really bad precedent.

    Microsoft, an illegal monopoly in the area of computer operating systems,
    is attempting to garner a share of the gaming market.  To this end, they
    are selling at below their cost, a robust well-built low-end PC at an
    extremely attractive price.  In order to prevent this box from perturbing
    their core monopoly business of selling operating systems to manufacturers
    of similar computers, they are shipping the box as a sealed unit, not
    designed to be opened by the consumer, and they have rigged the OS to only
    execute binaries signed by them.

    Now, it strikes me that Microsoft has absolutely no legal right to prevent
    me from running any program I choose on hardware that I OWN, and doing any
    reverse engineering necessary to achieve this goal.

    This isn't like reverse engineering software, which I don't really own,
    but merely have a license to use under certain conditions.  It isn't like
    breaking copy protection on a copyrighted work either.

    It's like buying a trunk at a rummage sale, and having a set of keys made
    so you can open it without damaging it, to see what's inside, and to use
    it in the future for purposes a trunk is suited for.

    Before this silly notion that writing programs and running them on an Xbox
    which one owns is somehow illegal gathers steam, I think it would be real
    useful if an organization like the EFF could issue an opinion, written by
    a real lawyer, stating that people have every right to run their own code
    on their own Xbox.  And furthermore, that reverse engineering neccessary
    to achieve this goal, like factoring the public RSA key for the Xbox, is a
    perfectly legitimate activity, and has nothing to do with some other
    things having a bad reputation, like cracking copyright protection, or
    making illegal copies of licensed commercial software.

    --
    Eric Michael Cordian 0+

    ----- End forwarded message -----