FC: Politech photos: RIAA copyright deal, Yosemite, SF Golden Gate

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 19:37:32 PST

    Photos from yesterday's press conference with Hilary Rosen, Ken Kay, and
    Robert Holleyman:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/riaa-tech-copyright-deal-jan03.html

    Previous Politech message on RIAA-BSA-CSPP truce:

    Night view from the Marin side of the Golden Gate bridge:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/d30-32/san-francisco-golden-gate-bridge-1.html

    And, now that I'm back in DC, I've uploaded a sampling from my Yosemite
    trip a few weeks ago:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/yosemite-valley-bw-dec02.html
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/yosemite-valley-color-dec02.html

    Most of them are analog, and I don't have them online yet. I used Gamma (a
    good lab in SF near 6th and Folsom) to develop my 4x5 black and white
    negatives and make contact sheets. If anyone knows of a good place in DC to
    scan 4x5 film -- I'm thinking of $25-$35 per negative and don't need drum
    scan quality -- let me know! I often use Asman, but their scans seem
    unusually pricey.

    I'm delighted with the 4x5 quality, but I can tell I still have work to do
    when finding the best angles and views for this format -- it requires a
    different technique and more practice.

    Some folks asked about the 11-megapixel Canon 1Ds that I'm writing about
    for CNET reviews. Soon I'll post some of the photos from DC and a
    Pennsylvania snowstorm last month. My review is due next Tuesday, and I'll
    be collecting my thoughts between then and now. But in brief: It's a
    terrific camera and I'd give it a 9 of 10. The only reason it's not a
    perfect 10 is the three frames per second maximum rate, and, of course, the
    $8,000 price.