FC: PlanetReplay webmaster spooked by deposition, deletes info

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 21:57:37 PST

    Here's some background on the SonicBLUE lawsuit:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1040-981128.html
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=sonicblue

    ---

    From: "Paul \"Evil Genius\" Music" <evlpawlat_private>
    To: "DeClan" <declanat_private>
    Subject: On the advice of my lawyer, I have taken down the sharing side of
    the Planet Replay web site
    Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:57:39 -0600

    http://www.planetreplay.com/sharing_011603.php

    Sharing currently suspended

    I gave my deposition testimony in the Entertainment Companies' lawsuit
    against SonicBLUE on January 14th. Based on the questions they asked me at
    my deposition, the fact that I do not want my users to be sued or their
    privacy put at risk, and that I myself do not want to be sued, the portions
    of PlanetReplay.com relating to sharing shows have been taken down until
    further notice.

    As many of you may know if you have been reading this web site over the
    past few months, I was subpoenaed to give documents and a deposition in the
    lawsuit between the Entertainment Companies and SonicBLUE. That deposition
    happened on January 14th, 2003. Based on the questions I was asked by the
    lawyer for the Entertainment Companies, it became clear to me that the
    Plaintiffs consider my web site, Planet Replay, to be aiding in the
    violation of their copyrights. More importantly to me, it seems that the
    Plaintiffs were also interested in the users of this site and the data
    about show sharing that this site provides.

    I think it is also obvious to anyone paying attention to current events
    that the Plaintiffs have little reluctance to sue anyone who they consider
    to be violating their copyrights or helping others to violate their
    copyrights (such as SonicBLUE, KaZaa, Napster, etc. etc.) On the advice of
    my lawyer, I have taken down the sharing side of the Planet Replay web site
    and one of the forums.

    Given that I do not want to put the privacy of Planet Replay users at risk,
    and that I myself do not want to be sued, I made the hard decision that it
    is in the best interests of the users of this site, as well as my own, that
    the sharing portions of this web site be taken down. Hopefully, if the
    lawsuit against SonicBLUE goes to trial and the court supports the legality
    of show sharing, the site will return.

    The rest of Planet Replay, the FAQs, Forums, and Account Management area
    (including account removal) will still remain active during these times.

    Thank you all for your support and your interest.

    If you have any questions about why I have taken down the site, please send
    an email to pressat_private and either I or my lawyer will get back
    to you.

    -Chad Little
    Owner, Planet Replay.