FC: California politicos sued for blackholing conservatives' email

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 09:32:39 PST

    We've seen this before:

    "Congresscritters turning off their email inboxes"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-04211.html

    "FTC turns to oft-unreliable blacklists to limit spam"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-04199.html

    Also note:
    http://www.savecalifornia.com/ccffreespeech.cfm

    Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:15:35 -0500
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    From: Neil Schwartzman <neilat_private>
    Subject: and more political reaction to spam ...

    So let me get this right ... if it is outgoing, it is "permission-based
    desirable email". If it is incoming it is "spam"?

    January 20, 2003

    Calif. Legislature Blocks Pro-family E-mail
    By Stuart Shepard, correspondent
    http://www.family.org/cforum/fnif/news/a0024212.html

    After a deluge of e-mail calling for no new taxes, the California
    Legislature has blocked messages sent via one pro-family group.

    Is it just spam or speech protected by the First Amendment? Recently,
    constituents of Campaign for California Families swamped legislators with
    e-mail calling for no new taxes.

    According to CCF Director Randy Thomasson: "The volume of response, because
    of the people's anger about the threat of higher taxes, was high."
    --
    Neil Schwartzman, peteMOSS Publications
    My hot teenaged toner cartridge does not need an herbal extension to her