FC: Robert Ellis on how DMCA is "chipping away at competition"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 13:41:17 PST

    Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:15:18 -0500
    To: declanat_private, politechat_private
    From: "Robert L. Ellis" <rellis@internet-attorneys.com>
    Subject: Chipping away at competition

    Declan,

    Lexmark's recently-filed DMCA complaint against an aftermarket toner
    cartridge manufacturer is a seminal (and infamous) event in the evolution
    of the DMCA, but it's only the camel’s nose in the tent.

    Yes, there used to be a thing called "competition" in the office supply
    market.  For years we could buy cheap aftermarket toner cartridges for our
    printers and copiers.  Now in my office, for example, have a crappy little
    digital copier that automatically shuts down when it decides its toner
    cartridge is empty -- whether it's empty or not.  We can't refill it.  We
    can't buy an aftermarket toner.  Hell, we can't even shake it and get a few
    more copies out of it.  Our toner cartridge has an encrypted chip in it, so
    we no longer actually run out of toner, we run out of chip.  The machine
    will work only if we put in a new, "genuine" replacement toner that
    likewise has an encrypted chip.  And guess what -- the "genuine"
    replacements cost about twice as much as similar toner cartridges for
    unchipped products.

    But there is absolutely no reason to think that chipping will stop there.

    With RFID chips, it’s possible that most consumables and spare parts will
    eventually be chipped with encrypted RFIDs to completely freeze out
    aftermarket products. Manufacturers of all types ­ not just printer
    manufacturers, but auto makers, appliance manufacturers, stapler companies,
    everything ­ will chip all their items with encrypted code to prevent
    competition and enforce price fixing.  Cars will “reject” windshields and
    tires that are not “genuine” or "approved" (on-board computers will prevent
    the car from running) and of course manufacturers will call it a safety,
    liability, and quality issue.  I wouldn’t be surprised if oil and
    windshield washer fluid eventually come packaged in special chipped
    cartridges like printer toner now does, preventing the user from pouring in
    non-"genuine" refills.  Coffee makers won't work if unapproved brands of
    coffee are used.  Dishwashers won’t work if unapproved detergent is not
    used.  Light sockets won’t work if unapproved bulbs aren’t used.  The
    initial acquisition of a product will cease to be a purchase, and instead
    will serve two purposes: (1) to add to the national dossier of information
    about the purchaser, especially if consumer products start requiring
    product activation, and (2) to lock in a market for overpriced supplies and
    parts.

    The term “disposable printer” has already been coined for a printer that is
    cheaper than the ink cartridges it uses.   Other disposable products are
    sure to follow, shifting the profit to captive parts and consumable
    sales.  Think it can't happen?  What is there to stop it?

    Just as technical DRM measures were imposed to trump copyright fair use,
    the DMCA is now being used to trump laws against unfair competition,
    price-fixing, and deception.

    - Bob Ellis

    Ellis & Venable LLP, Attorneys & Counselors at Law
    33 N. High Street, Suite 1000  Columbus OH 43215   USA
    +1  614-221-2422 voice   -5244 fax  www.internet-attorneys.com