FC: Canada's privacy czar gives dire warning about anti-terrorism laws

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 16:34:02 PST

[This is strong language. Read it. It shows that a privacy czar writing
about government intrusions can be a powerful advocate for liberty. --Declan]

---

Subject: Canada's PRivacy Commissioner's Annual Report released
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:24:29 -0800
From: "Chris Brand" <Chris_Brandat_private>
To: <declanat_private>

Hi Declan,

Don't know whether you've already seen this :

http://www.privcom.gc.ca/information/ar/02_04_10_e.asp

The first couple of paragraphs look like this :

It is my duty, in this Annual Report, to present a solemn
and urgent warning to every Member of Parliament and Senator,
and indeed to every Canadian:
The fundamental human right of privacy in Canada is under
assault as never before. Unless the Government of Canada is
quickly dissuaded from its present course by Parliamentary
action and public insistence, we are on a path that may well
lead to the permanent loss not only of privacy rights that
we take for granted but also of important elements of freedom
as we now know it.

Chris