FC: Andrew Odlyzko replies on DMCA and "chipping away at competition"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 10:26:37 PST

    [I enjoyed Robert's warning (http://www.politechbot.com/p-04390.html), but
    he's looking at "chipping" like a lawyer instead of through the lens of
    economics. It seems clear to me that if some manufactures sufficiently vex
    people by "chipping," then their customers will turn elsewhere to
    non-chipped products. And competitors will advertise "unchipped"
    alternatives, as we saw in the Yahoo case
    (http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/20568.html). It's not like
    there's a lack of competition in the laser printer, car, coffee maker,
    dishwasher, or other markets Robert cited. --Declan]

    ---