FC: Federal appeals court lets Texas mail critic keep his domains

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 13:30:51 PST

    Some back messages:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=Mishkoff

    ---

    Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:23:05 -0500
    From: "Paul Levy" <PLEVYat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Big win for free speech on the Internet

    I am pleased to be able to report that, in a decision released today,
    the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit has reversed
    the two preliminary injunctions that had been issued against the
    maintenance of the web sites at www.shopsatwillowbend,com and
    www.taubmansucks.com.  The decision contains some ringing language
    about the importance of free speech oin the Internet and the important
    of domain names as a way to call attention to non-confusing and
    non-commercial web sites.   A copy of our press release follows; it can
    also be viewed on our web site at
    http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=1326

    The American Civil Liberties Union filed a brief as amicus curiae in
    support of our decision on appeal.

    For Immediate Release: 					Contact:
    Paul Alan Levy (202) 588-1000
    Feb. 7,
    2003								Shannon
    Little (202) 588-7742

    Appeals Court Upholds Right of Online Critic to Use Shopping Mall's
    Name in Domain Name

    Dallas Web Designer Did Not Confuse Internet Users, Infringe on
    Trademark in Fan Site, Gripe Sites

    	WASHINGTON, D.C. - In a ringing affirmation of free speech
    rights on the Internet, a federal appeals court has upheld the right of
    a Dallas man to use the name of a local shopping mall as the domain name
    for a Web site singing the praises of that mall, as well as a second Web
    site denouncing the mall's owner for suing him under the federal
    trademark laws.

    	Computer consultant Henry Mishkoff has been involved in a
    dispute with the nationwide shopping mall developer Taubman Company,
    which was building a mall called The Shops at Willow Bend, in Plano,
    Texas, near his Dallas home. Mishkoff originally built a "fan site"
    praising the mall, but after Taubman claimed his site violated its
    trademark and demanded it be taken down, he developed a site criticizing
    the company.

    In the fall of 2001, the Michigan district court ordered Mishkoff to
    remove both of his sites from the Web, taking a dangerous step toward
    restricting non-commercial speech on the Internet. The appeals court
    suspended the order against the gripe site in March while it considered
    the First Amendment implications of the case.

    Today's opinion overturns the district court's injunctions that
    prevented Mishkoff from using the domain name "shopsatwillowbend.com" in
    his fan site and variations on "taubmansucks.com" and
    "shopsatwillowbendsucks.com" in his subsequent gripe sites.   In a
    unanimous opinion authored by Circuit Judge Richard Surhheinrich, the
    court wrote that Mishkoff clearly had no commercial intent in either of
    his sites, that there was no likelihood that any visitors to his sites
    would be confused as to their purpose and that allowing the injunctions
    to remain would harm the public by curtailing free speech rights.

    The Court stated, "Taubman concedes that Mishkoff is 'free to shout
    "Taubman Sucks!" from the rooftops'… Essentially, this is what he has
    done in his domain name. The rooftops of our past have evolved into the
    internet domain names of our present."

    "This is the first time an appellate court has addressed the trademark
    and free speech rights for an Internet fan site not meant to mislead and
    gripe site, and it was particularly important that the court get things
    right.  This decision will set an important precedent protecting the
    rights of citizens to criticize and to praise. It is quite a victory,"
    said Paul Alan Levy, an attorney with the Public Citizen Litigation
    Group who represented Mishkoff.

    "I'm very gratified to learn that the Court of Appeals has agreed with
    most of the points I've been making all along," Mishkoff said.
    "Hopefully, the ruling will help to ensure that other people will be
    able to exercise their right of free speech without having to worry
    about being harassed by big companies with deep pockets."

    Barbara Harvey has served as Mishkoff's local counsel in Detroit.
    Professor Milton Mueller, director of the Syracuse University's Graduate
    Program in Telecommunications and Network Management Research and
    co-director of The Convergence Center, has served as Mishkoff's pro bono
    expert witness who wrote a report on the case, available online at
    http://www.taubmansucks.com/Act108.html.

    A copy of the court's opinion is on the Web at
    http://pacer.ca6.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/getopn.pl?OPINION=03a0043p.06.
    Public Citizen became involved in the case because it has a history of
    defending free speech on the Internet. For more information on this and
    other online free speech cases, go to
    http://www.citizen.org/litigation/briefs/IntFreeSpch/index.cfm.

    ###

    Public Citizen is a nonprofit consumer advocacy organization based in
    Washington, D.C. For more information, please visit www.citizen.org.

    Paul Alan Levy
    Public Citizen Litigation Group
    1600 - 20th Street, N.W.