FC: Jeff Pulver: Net telephony is under attack from regulators

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 08:36:01 PST

    [If I understand Jeff's message, here we see yet another example of two
    technologies being subject to different regulations, creating a competitive
    advantage for one and an unstable situation in general. The solution is to
    equalize the amount of regulation (or, in this case, someting akin to
    taxation). But since eliminating a regulatory regime would mean cutting off
    "free" money flowing to schools and libraries -- not exactly politically
    palatable -- we're seeing Internert telephony targeted instead with more
    regulation/taxation. Think of it as a full employment guarantee for
    everyone at the FCC for the foreseeable future. --Declan]

    ---