FC: Recording industry wants to scan .au university computers

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 07:02:29 PST

    Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:57:14 +1100
    From: Ian Cumming <ianat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Recording industry asks to scan university computers

    Hi Declan,

    I'm not sure if this is worthy of politech, but my University is being
    targeted by Festival, Sony and EMI to hand over the web logs from our
    proxy servers as evidence of mp3 sharing by students.

    The following articles provide some commentary on these events.

    - Recording firms ask to scan university computers
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/18/1045330603596.html

    - It's war on a generation of cyber pirates
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/17/1045330539310.html

    The first article reports:

    "In Sydney yesterday, the companies - Festival, Sony and EMI - reached
    agreement with the University of Sydney and the University of Tasmania
    to preserve the files as evidence. The universities have not agreed to
    hand over the information."

    My question is, do record companies have a legal right to seize traffic
    data for the purposes of their investigations?

    Perhaps some politechers could comment on their perspective of these
    actions?

    Ian.