FC: Public Citizen files brief, says WashPost should have ignored Purdy

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 02:51:28 PST

    [I invite the attorneys for the Washington Post, copied above, to reply. I
    will forward their response unedited. --Declan]

    ---

    Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:18:37 -0500
    From: "Paul Levy" <PLEVYat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Cc: <wpurdyat_private>, <strahanat_private>, <Maya.Alexandriat_private>,
        <PCaromeat_private>, <Thomas.Olsonat_private>
    Subject: Purdy domain name case

    Public Citizen has asked US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit to
    allow it to file a brief urging it to uphold the initial order issued by
    the district court against William Purdy for posting anti-abortion
    campaign material online using domain names that incorporate the
    trademarks of the Washington Post, Coca-Cola and other companies.  After
    thinking long and hard about this situation, and studying the record
    carefully, we concluded that Purdy was not using the trademarks in any
    fair or appropriate way to post his criticisms of the trademark owners,
    but rather was unfairly using their trademarks to call attention to his
    views about abortion.  We have argued to the court of appeals that the
    injunction should not, however, be affirmed on the broad grounds argued
    by the plaintiff companies, but rather on the ground that the specific
    uses that Purdy had made of the trademarks through the time of the
    injunction were sufficiently abusive to warrant equitable relief.
    Therefore, we do not believe that Purdy can properly invoke the sorts of
    arguments that we used to win a victory for Hank Mishkoff against
    Taubman Company earlier this month.   A copy of the brief is available
    on our website at http://www.citizen.org/documents/PurdyAmicusBrief.pdf

    That being said, we have grave qualms about whether the plaintiffs in
    this case are getting carried away by their outrage at Purdy in their
    continued pursuit of some of the domain names that he has registered
    more recently.  We see no likelihood whatsoever that any Internet user
    is going to type such domain names as WashingtonPostChristian.com or
    WashingtonPostJesus.com into their Internet browser and so be misled to
    Purdy's anti-abortion websites.    To be sure, these names include the
    Post's trademark and do not include critical words, and in that respect
    may appear to violate some clauses of the preliminary injunction
    (because the injunction applies only to names that are "confusingly
    similar" however, the injunction may not actually be violated when read
    carefully).  Purdy registered these and many other domain names for the
    apparent purpose of testing how far he could go without getting slapped
    down.  Once Purdy waved the red blanket in their faces, the Post's
    lawyers went after Purdy for using these names, without ever thinking
    about whether these names posed any realistic likelihood of diverting
    Internet traffic through confusion over source.

    In this regard, it is worth noting that last summer, as his controversy
    with the Post and Coca-Coca was heating up, Purdy registered several
    additional domain names, using the names or acronyms of several
    non-profit organizations that support abortion rights, including the
    ACLU, the National Organization for Women, and Planned Parenthood, and
    Purdy pointed these domain names to his anti-abortion material.  On July
    16, you carried a message from Purdy who said he was using those
    organizations names because he detested their positions on abortion and
    knew that they would not like the content of the websites.
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-03764.html. (Interestingly, this
    message is in the court record in the case, because at least one of the
    Post's lawyers subscribes to your list).

      These groups did not rise to Purdy's bait, but simply ignored him,
    although I know for a fact that at least one of those groups was quite
    aware of what was happening (if only from your list).  In retrospect, I
    have to wonder whether that wasn't the wiser course.  The literature
    suggests that it is not unusual for the owners of political web sites to
    take advantage of the litigation filed against them to reap more
    publicity and more attention for their websites that they would
    otherwise attain.  http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1044059430652.
      Have the Post and its lawyers given William Purdy exactly what he
    wanted - a load of public attention and the opportunity to be a martyr
    for his cause?

    I am sending copies of this email to Purdy and to the lawyers for both
    sides so that they can respond if they desire to do so.

    Paul Alan Levy
    Public Citizen Litigation Group
    1600 - 20th Street, N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20009