FC: Defense Dept expert calls for banning info on tricking polygraphs

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 10:18:15 PST

    Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:56:27 -0800
    To: Dave Farber <daveat_private>, Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    From: Jim Warren <jwarrenat_private>
    Subject: fwd: Federal Polygrapher Calls for Outlawing Countermeasure Info
    Cc: "George W. Maschke" <maschkeat_private>

    Back in the chaos of the [previous, '60's] anti-war movement, I had a
    neighbor/friend/activist who had to take a polygraph test (don't remember
    from whom nor why).  He studied carefully; took the test ... and passed
    with flying colors -- even though he was "guilty" as hell (of
    whatever).  He was just an average college dropout; not an experienced or
    trained professional liar.

    Ever since then, I've looked at claims and uses (abuses?!) of polygraph
    testing with GREAT -- well EARNED! -- distrust ... and certainly understand
    why their use is (always???) banned in criminal court prosecutions.

    Now, a Dept of Defense polygraph expert -- who TEACHES how to mislead a
    polygraph (thus proving it can be learned and done) -- wants to limit such
    knowledge only to the elite few.  One more step in our dangerously
    malignant police state ("Patriot" Act, DoD/Poindexter's TIA, "Patriot" II,
    etc.).

    However, thanks to this effort to censor what he teaches to The Chosen
    Ones, I've heard for the first time (below), of a free e-book that appears
    to disclose for freedom-lovers (whether we deserve freedom, or not)
    some/many of the secrets that the DoD ex-spurt seeks to censor.

    I just downloaded my copy -- before the thought police prohibit it. Should you?

    --jim
    Jim Warren; jwarrenat_private, technology-related public-policy advocate

    [Soc.of Prof.Journalists-Nor.Cal.James Madison Freedom-of-Information Award;
    Electronic Frontier Foundation Pioneer Award (1992, its first year);
    Playboy Foundation Hugh Hefner First-Amendment Award (1994);
    founded the Computers, Freedom & Privacy Conferences; blah blah blah]

    At 4:51 PM +0100 2/25/03, "George W. Maschke" <maschkeat_private>
    posted in FOI-L: