FC: U.S. plan to bug U.N. Security Council revealed --The Observer

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 06:46:27 PST

    Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 12:48:30 +0100
    To: declanat_private
    From: Maurice Wessling <mauriceat_private>
    Subject: US plan to bug Security Council

    The UK newspaper The Observer published an NSA email which instructs NSA
    personnel to step up sigint operations against the UN Security Council.

    http://www.observer.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,905954,00.html

    Maurice Wessling
    Bits of Freedom

    To: [Recipients withheld]
    From: FRANK KOZA@Chief of Staff (Regional Target) CIV/NSA
    on 31/01/2003 0:16
    Subject: Reflections of Iraq debate/votes at UN - RT actions and potential
    for related contributions
    TOP SECRET/COMINT/XL

    All,

    As you've likely heard by now, the Agency is mounting a surge particularly
    directed at the UN Security Council (UNSC) members (minus US and GBR of
    course) for insights as to how to membership is reacting to the on-going
    debate RE: Iraq, plans to vote on any related resolutions, what related
    policies/ negotiating positions they may be considering, alliances/
    dependencies, etc - the whole gamut of information that could give US
    policymakers an edge in obtaining results favourable to US goals or to head
    off surprises. In RT, that means a QRC surge effort to revive/ create
    efforts against UNSC members Angola, Cameroon, Chile, Bulgaria and Guinea,
    as well as extra focus on Pakistan UN matters.

    We've also asked ALL RT topi's to emphasise and make sure they pay
    attention to existing non-UNSC member UN-related and domestic comms for
    anything useful related to the UNSC deliberations/ debates/ votes. We have
    a lot of special UN-related diplomatic coverage (various UN delegations)
    from countries not sitting on the UNSC right now that could contribute
    related perspectives/ insights/ whatever. We recognise that we can't afford
    to ignore this possible source.

    We'd appreciate your support in getting the word to your analysts who might
    have similar, more in-direct access to valuable information from accesses
    in your product lines. I suspect that you'll be hearing more along these
    lines in formal channels - especially as this effort will probably peak (at
    least for this specific focus) in the middle of next week, following the
    SecState's presentation to the UNSC.

    Thanks for your help