FC: Noah Shachtman replies to Politech over Los Alamos story

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 08:12:56 PST

    I understand this was circulated internally to Los Alamos employees:
     > A story on the Wired.com Web site includes a claim by the reporter
     > that he easily penetrated secure areas at the Laboratory; many of you
     > notified Public Affairs about the story, and we appreciate your
     > taking the time to bring it to our attention. Pete Nanos addressed
     > the issue quite forcefully in a media conference call this afternoon,
     > and here is the Laboratory's response to reporters who have called
     > the PA office:
     >
     >> The Wired reporter clearly did not enter a Laboratory security area.
     >> The Laboratory encompasses more than 40 square miles. The security
     >> force protects important assets within those boundaries but cannot
     >> -- and does not -- protect every square foot of property. Based on
     >> the article, it appears the reporter crossed a barbed-wire cattle
     >> fence, not a fence that protects a Los Alamos security area.
     >>
     >> There is a small security area with several buildings (roughly 400
     >> feet by 400 feet) near the driveway entrance to TA-33. That area is
     >> surrounded by a seven-foot-high chain-link fence topped with three
     >> strands of barbed wire.  A security guard is stationed inside that
     >> area seven days a week and 24 hours a day. Clearly, the reporter did
     >> not climb that fence.
     >>
     >> There are several other buildings outside the security area that are
     >> locked for property protection interests. They have no security
     >> interests. There are several gates and fenced areas on the TA-33
     >> site, which are there for safety access control, not security.
     >>
     >> It's unlikely the reporter would be prosecuted for trespassing; the
     >> Laboratory does not have law enforcement authority to prosecute, and
     >> none of the proper authorities witnessed the trespass.

    Previous Politech message (this will be the last round, I expect):

    Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:35:02 -0800 (PST)
    From: Noah Shachtman <noahmax6000at_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Replies to Noah Shachtman's "How I Snuck Into Los Alamos"
    To: declanat_private

    Declan:

    I've received a lot of messages like Sonja Tideman's
    and Jan Conklin's. They say, in essence, that my story
    wasn't a big deal, because the area into which I went
    wasn't sufficiently top-secret.  If I had walked out
    with, say, a wheelbarrow full of uranium, then they
    would have been impressed.

    Well, in 1997, during a security training simulation,
    soldiers were able <a
    href="http://www.pogo.org/p/environment/eo-011003-nuclear.htm#(la)">to
    do just that</a>.  In 2000, during a similar exercise,
    feaux bad guys "gain(ed) access to the reactor fuel…
    potentially causing a sizable nuclear detonation that
    would have taken out part of New Mexico and caused
    havoc downwind."

    I'm a scared, out-of-shape lummox without any military
    training whatsoever, and with no motivation to do
    anything harmful.  Yet I got into an area that I was
    assured could not be accessed by any outsider ­ an
    area that no one will even say officially what it's
    purpose is.

    If I could do what I did ­ and these simulated
    attackers could made such spectacular inroads ­ what
    could a more determined adversary accomplish?  That's
    the question my story asks.

    Several readers of <a
    href="http://slashdot.org">Slashdot</a> said that
    TA-33 couldn’t have been that important, if Bussolini
    and Alexander stored their allegedly
    fraudulently-purchased goods there, and if I was able
    to get in.

    To that, one Slashdot reader <a
    href="http://science.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=55048&cid=5381010">replied</a>,
    "I'm not comfortable assuming that the buildings he
    managed to get into were useless just based on the
    fact that he was able to access them. It seems like
    that sort of head-in-the-sand circular logic does not
    good security practices make."

    I agree.

    ---