FC: Privacy groups will meet with Bush administration on CAPPS II

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 16:08:55 PST

    From: "edward hasbrouck" <edwardat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Date: mon, 17 mar 2003 08:15:29 -0800

    Declan: Please share the following with the Politech list.  Thanks!

    More on the Transportation Security Administration's meetings with privacy
    advocates and civil liberties groups on CAPPS-II and related proposals:

    The first round of meetings with staff of the ACLU, CDP, and perhaps
    others began this weekend. I've accepted an invitation to an all-day
    seminar/briefing with the TSA in Washington on March 26th.  And I've
    received a written commitment that the TSA will hold a West Coast,
    probably Bay Area, session, probably in April.  (They initially said they
    were planning a Bay Area meeting the week of March 31 - April 4, but
    promptly revised their plan when I pointed out the conflict with CFP.)

    Following is the description I received from the organizer of the TSA
    meeting, and the response to my request to post this information:

    "The fact that we are setting up and having a series of meetings is
    desirably public.  However, our purpose is to have a set of workshop
    meetings that allow for exchange and discussion and, like the differences
    between a seminar and a lecture (pardon my academic analogies), having the
    proper size is important to achieving the goal.  For that reason, the
    meetings will be "by invitation" and relatively small.  To increase
    participation, though, we are holding a series of meetings across the
    country precisely to provide a wide range of opportunities and venues....

    "The March 26th meeting will involve two presentations in the morning from
    government officials directly involved in the program:  one on the
    passenger screening system, how it may work, what the design and
    development issues are, and a general overview; the second is on privacy
    and privacy-related issues.  We will then have open, moderated discussion
    both about the presentations and whatever issues the participants bring to
    the table. The Director of the Office of National Risk Assessment will
    participate in the late afternoon discussion at which time the group will
    summarize its issues, questions, and perspectives, and the Director will
    respond to them.  There will be sufficient time to make the latter
    exchange more than a Q&A, and more a real discussion."

    More on the proposals, the TSA meetings, the legislative activites in the
    US Congress and the European Parliament last week, and a primer on "What's
    in a PNR?"  (I'll add some sample PNR's as soon as I have time), at:

    http://hasbrouck.org/articles/travelprivacy.html

    Edward Hasbrouck
    <edwardat_private>
    <http://hasbrouck.org>

    "The Practical Nomad Guide to the Online Travel Marketplace"
    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566912504/edwardhasbro>
    "The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World"
    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566912148/edwardhasbro>