FC: Turkish football team fails to win grab for fan's domain name

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 08:42:05 PST

    Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:29:07 -0500
    From: "Paul Levy" <PLEVYat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Football club fails to quash fan site

    I recently read a WIPO decision at the intersection of my passion for
    football and my professional interest in cyberlaw.  According to the
    decision, a Turkish-American fan of Beziktas, one of the traditional top
    teams in Turkey, has since 1995 maintained an extensive fan site about
    his team, a real labor of love on which he claims to spend about $2000
    per month.  When the team finally decided that it wanted to set up a
    website, it demanded he give up his domain name and then filed a WIPO
    complaint in early 2003.  Thankfully, the WIPO panelist recognized the
    right of a football fan to use his team's name for a site about the
    team, and refused to order transfer of the name
    http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2003/d2003-0035.html

    Paul Alan Levy
    Public Citizen Litigation Group
    1600 - 20th Street, N.W.