FC: Jack Valenti on the Hellmouth: Stop swapping Buffy files!

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 14:41:58 PST

    [I know Buffy is popular (the runup to the series finale starts tonight).
    But I'm surprised that it was the only TV show to be singled out by the
    MPAA in its question-and-answer list about the broadcast flag. --Declan]

    http://www.mpaa.org/Press/Broadcast_Flag_QA.htm

    Q: I know people offer Buffy the Vampire Slayer and other programs on the
    Internet now. Is this illegal? Why?

    A: Yes, it is illegal. Current laws state that redistribution of
    copyrighted materials without express permission from the copyright holder
    is illegal. Buffy is a copyrighted program that 20th Century Fox produces
    and UPN broadcasts for its audience's personal use and have not authorized
    the redistribution of their programming via the Internet. If unauthorized
    copies of programs are widely available on the Internet they cannot be sold
    in ancillary markets and the owners cannot cover the costs of production.