FC: Responses to Pentagon claim about basketball-reading spy gear

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 20:39:10 PST

    Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 00:50:48 -0800 (PST)
    From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhallat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: U.S. spy gear can "read lettering on basketball" 25,000
      miles  away

     > When it come to "space control," for space situation awareness, the
     > general said, "We need to know what's happening in our space
     > environment, not only for what we have, but what other countries may
     > have." He said the United States has a ground system that can read
     > the lettering on a basketball out about 25,000 miles. But it's
     > weather dependent.

    Declan,

    This seems like quite the exaggeration or astronomers have a lot to do
    to catch up with the military!

    Right now, (at least in un-classified research [1]) we think it's
    practically impossible to read the lettering on a basketball farther
    than 108 miles away... and that's with a 10 meter telescope [2] in
    good weather. We could detect a planet roughly the size of the Earth
    around the closest star, Alpha Centauri, with the system spoken of
    above...

    (This calculation assumes that basketball lettering is 1" tall... and
    you would need higher resolution to actually "read" the lettering)

    [1] http://shorl.com/hifrykugryfiju [adsabs.harvard.edu]
    [2] http://www.astro.caltech.edu/mirror/keck/

    take care,
    Joe

    Joseph Lorenzo Hall                     jhallat_private
    Graduate Student                        astron.berkeley.edu/~jhall
    Astronomy Department
    601 Campbell Hall                       voice: (510) 643-8592
    University of California at Berkeley    fax  : (510) 642-3411
    Berkeley, CA 94720-3411                 face : 753B Campbell

    Why? See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

    ---