FC: A reply from Hong Kong on SARS, China, and public panic

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 12:48:45 PDT

    Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:19:33 +0800
    To: declanat_private
    From: John Bacon-Shone <johnbsat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Replies to SARS and growth rates

    At 10:55 AM -0400 4/22/03, Declan McCullagh wrote:
    >[Back from an Easter vacation and catching up on CFP-week Politech
    >submissions... The folks below are right: Initially SARS looked like it
    >would grow exponentially but that has not turned out to be the case. A
    >graph resembles a straight line. Though with reports in the last 24 hours
    >that some crowded, financially-strapped hospitals in China are sending
    >away probable SARS patients to go back home in their communities, China
    >may be the exception. --Declan]

    Dear Declan

    You've been overtaken by events again, I'm afraid - China is finally
    admitting the full scale of infection in Beijing, at least, after sacking 2
    key officials! They also cut the national holiday drastically to reduce the
    spread into the countryside.

     From a political perspective, it makes Hong Kong people feel positive that
    the new leadership in Beijing is a bit different to the previous group.

    Hong Kong originally looked very serious because we had one housing estate
    with a mass outbreak which came from just one liver cancer patient sent
    home when infected and with diarrhea.  It appears that infection was via
    the faecal route as there was a flaw in the sewage system in the building
    the patient lived in.  Now that is under control, the official rate is down
    to about 20 cases per day (very manageable).

    There is still concern that the drug treatment is not effective for some
    patients, including some people who are not old or unhealthy, but now that
    the genetic code for the virus has been cracked, hopefully more effective
    identification and treatments will follow.

    The interesting question is whether there are many more unreported cases
    which do not present with the official (serious) symptom
    profile.  Ironically, this might be good, as it would increase the number
    of people with antibodies and hence reduce the risk of a full blown
    epidemic  There is some basis for this, as when they tested people living
    in the most affected housing estate, many of them did not show the full
    blown symptoms, yet were found to be infected.  It also means that
    arguments about what is the denominator for the death rate are moot at this
    point.  Frankly, any disease that kills off healthy adults is a problem and
    what is scary about this disease is that essentially nobody has antibodies
    to the virus yet and of course there is no vaccine.

    Getting back on topic, it is fascinating how the virus has stimulated a
    strong immune response from civil society - people are realising that the
    government cannot do it all, so they better do something themselves,
    whether it is cleaning schools & old peoples homes or changing social
    behaviour (no more shaking hands here)!  Some of the schools re-opened
    today and the others re-open next week.  The panic is over here, but the
    worry will be here a while yet.

    Regards

    John

    PS Thanks for the great list!
    --
    Dr. John Bacon-Shone, Director,  Social Sciences Research Centre
    8/F Meng Wah Complex, The University of Hong Kong