FC: Will Larry Lessig have to resign? Find out at event on 4/28

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 09:06:04 PDT

    "Larry Lessig bets his job on spam law -- with me as judge?"

    Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:30:41 -0700
    To: declanat_private
    From: Lauren Gelman <gelmanat_private>
    Subject: Will Prof. Lessig Be Forced to Resign? Come Find Out 4/28

    Will Professor Lessig be Forced to Resign?
    Come Find Out!

    LABEL/BOUNTY SPAM LEGISLATION

    with

    Representative Zoe Lofgren
    Professor Lawrence Lessig
    CNET Reporter Declan McCullagh

    Monday April 28, 2003
    1:00-2:00 PM
    Room 290
    Stanford Law School
    Open to All!

    Background:

    September 16, 2002
    Imagine a law that had two parts-a labeling part and a bounty part. Part A
    says that any unsolicited commercial e-mail must include in its subject
    line the tag [ADV:]. Part B says that the first person to track down a
    spammer violating the labeling requirement will, upon providing proof to
    the Federal Trade Commission, be entitled to $10,000 to be paid by the
    spammer."
    -Larry Lessig CIO Insight Magazine
    January 1, 2003
    Here goes: So (a) if a law like the one I propose is passed on a national
    level, and (b) it does not substantially reduce the level of spam, then (c)
    I will resign my job. I get to decide whether (a) is true; Declan can
    decide whether (b) is true. If (a) and (b) are both true, then I'll do (c)
    at the end of the following academic year
    .-http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/lessig/blog/
    Next Monday, April 28, 2003 at Stanford Law School

    Representative Zoe Lofgren introduces Label/Bounty SPAM Legislation at
    SLATA's Pizza with the Profs. Professor Lessig announces whether (a) is
    true.  His nemesis CNET Reporter Declan McCullagh appears to explain how
    he'll decide whether (b) is true.  What about (c)?

    ___________________

    Brought to you by:
    SLATA- Stanford Law and Technology Association: http://slata.stanford.edu
    CIS- Center for Internet and Society: http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu

    Directions:
    http://www.law.stanford.edu/directions.shtml

    Call-in Information for Press:
    800-261-3225
    Pass Code:  537986#

    Press Contact:
    Ann Dethlefsen,
    Director, Communications
    Stanford law School
    650- 723-9302

    Internet Law Program, Summer 2003

    Stanford Law School
    June 30 - July 4
    http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/ilaw2003

    Registration is now open for this summer's Internet Law Program (ILaw) in
    Stanford, CA, sponsored by the Stanford Law School Center for Internet and
    Society and the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law
    School. On the agenda: recent reforms in intellectual-property systems,
    privacy versus security on the Net, the changing shape and role of ICANN,
    "open" versus "proprietary" software systems, regulating pornography,
    jurisdictional problems, cybercrime, addressing the digital divide, and more.

    No previous experience with Internet law is necessary to enroll. The
    program is designed for lawyers, policymakers, business and technology
    professionals, government and non-profit executives, and journalists who
    write about technology. International participation is encouraged.

    Questions?  Please contact Harvard's Robyn Mintz at:
    rmintzat_private

    --

    Lauren Gelman, Esq.
    Assistant Director