FC: Mike Hawash's friends plan Seattle rally for Monday 8:30am

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 16:42:41 PDT

    Politech archive on Mike Hawash case:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=hawash

    ---

    Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 14:18:22 -0700
    From: Jules Agee <julesaat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Seattle rally for Mike Hawash

    There will be a PEACEFUL rally for the release of Mike Hawash in front
    of the Seattle Federal Courthouse on Monday morning, 8:30 AM.

    Mike is a US Citizen and software developer for Intel. He has been
    incarcerated in a Federal prison as a "material witness" since late
    March. He hasn't been charged with a crime or asked any questions. All
    records have been sealed from public access.

    I don't know him personally, but his case is the most blatant example of
    the current administration's disregard for civil rights that I know of
    (though I am admittedly somewhat uninformed). His friends and neighbors
    say he's a family man deeply involved in his local community, working at
    Intel for over a decade, and has been a US Citizen for around 15 years.
    He doesn't sound like a flight risk to me.

    I don't know to what extent, if any, he has been involved with
    Palestinian militants. Whether or not there is any validity in the
    government's case, they should not be able to abduct people from their
    workplace, search their homes at gunpoint, and incarcerate them for
    months with no explanation or public accountability. I think the
    government should either charge him with a crime, or take a deposition
    and release him.

    On Tuesday, there will be a hearing in Portland to determine Mike's fate
    for the near future. I realize that a Monday morning rally is very short
    notice, but there will be news coverage at the Portland rally Tuesday
    morning, and it would probably help Mike more if the Portland supporters
    can show reporters photos of our rally in Seattle.

    The courthouse is at 1010 5th Avenue in downtown Seattle. Mapquest can
    print a map and directions for you if you need them:
    http://www.mapquest.com/directions/

    More information about his case is available here:
    http://www.freemikehawash.org

    If you can, it would be very helpful if you could download one of the
    signs available at the web link below, print it out, and bring it with you:
    http://www.freemikehawash.org/rally.htm#Posters