FC: Email a Mail-block.com customer, get an advertisement

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 18:09:09 PDT

    Remember we had a related problem with MailWiper, which I recall was
    spamming ads, not just displaying them on its website (big difference):
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=mailwiper

    And SpamArrest:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=spamarrest

    In the range of good-to-bad online behavior, Mail-block.com's ads are
    hardly noxious. They're just tacky. Couple that with poor integration with
    an email client that doesn't whitelist folks in your outbox, and you get
    this result.

    Mail-block.com appears to be run by DirectPop.net. I invite them to reply.
    Also it would be helpful if they could explain why there is no privacy
    policy or terms of service agreement visible on their home page or where
    prospective customers sign up for an account
    (https://directpop.net/secureWebMail-Block/signup.cfm).

    http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=31

    Posted by David Carlson 10:04:31 AM
    Go Ahead, Spam Your Friends
    Now here's a novel idea: You can eliminate spam in your in-box by spamming
    everyone else! That's what a product called Mail-Block does for you.
    "Mail-Block© lets you receive only the e-mail you want to receive and
    nothing else!" the website boasts. "Mail-Block© intercepts every message
    coming into your e-mail and processes it based upon your set of
    preferences; if the e-mail is from someone your Mail-Block© doesn't
    recognize, it immediately sends back a verification e-mail." Isn't that
    just the horse's behind? And it only costs $29.95 a year!
    I found this "product" because, the other day, a complete stranger sent me
    a message asking a quick question. My reply generated a spam from
    Mail-Block System. You sent a message to (name removed to protect the
    guilty), who is currently using this system, and now you can see the power
    of using the Mail-Block Technology. To complete the delivery of your
    e-mail, please click on the link below." This was followed by four
    paragraphs of unsolicited commercial message attempting to sell Mail-Block
    and Internet access to go with it. Guess what: The stranger never got her
    answer.