FC: Spam-o-nomics: Do 30 percent of people buy from spammers?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 05:23:56 PDT

    From: "Thomas Leavitt" <thomasleavittat_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Spam survey on NPDOR - 30% of respondents buy from spammers
    Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 16:11:54 -0700

    http://www.npdor.com/

     >From the home page:

    Have you ever purchased a product/service pitched to you in an unsolicited
    e-mail?

    Yes, sometimes the unsolicited message catches my interest - 7%

    Yes, but very rarely. Usually, I disregard unsolicited messages - 23%

    No, I always disregard all unsoliticited messages - 68%

    I don't receive unsolicited messages - 2%

    ***

    Note: this is a self-selected survey, and thus is not citeable as a valid
    statistic - but... these are compelling figures for any spammer. If they hit
    2 million people, and 1 million email addresses are valid, and they have a
    chance of reaching 300,000 people...

    Even if the hit rate is only 5% for the 70,000 people who "sometimes" look
    at spam, that still amounts to 3,500 strong sales candidates. And, if you
    add in a 1% hit rate for the 230,000 people, that adds up to 6,000 leads at
    almost no cost. If the profit margin on the product is $25.00, and 10%
    convert, you're looking at $15,000 in profit per spam.

    Even if you dial those numbers down by a factor of 10, $1,500 per spam, done
    a dozen times a day, is an awful lot of cash.

    Thomas

    --
    Thomas Leavitt, Sr. Systems Admin For Hire
    Resume at http://www.thomasleavitt.org/personal/resume/

    Wired since 1981. Internet-enabled since 1990. Web-enabled since 1993.
    Older, wiser, and poorer, post-crash. :)

    Join the System/Database/Network Administrators Job Search Community: