FC: BusinessWeek: "At Justice, NSEERS Spells Data Chaos"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 05:36:50 PDT

    From: "Jane Black" <jane_blackat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: At Justice, NSEERS Spells Data Chaos
    Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 10:02:27 -0400

    Hi Declan,

    Thought this might be of interest to Politech readers&

    At Justice, NSEERS Spells Data Chaos
    This shadowy program has gathered extensive personal data on immigrants.
    But who has the info, and what's it being used for? Answers are hard to find

    I'm holding in my hands documents that don't exist, according to a Justice
    Dept. spokesman. The forms -- 21 pages worth -- are from 7 of the 76
    regional bureaus of the Immigration & Naturalization Service, a bureaucracy
    formerly part of Justice that moved to the new Homeland Security Dept. on
    Mar. 1. These forms list anywhere from a dozen to three dozen questions
    presented to 130,000 males last winter, mostly Muslim immigrants required
    to "special register" with the INS so that the government could keep better
    tabs on foreign nationals.

    Each form is different. All ask for basic descriptive information such as
    eye color, height, weight, and family history. But others go much further.
    In Arlington, Va., INS forms asked for personal bank-account and
    credit-card information. The Cleveland form asked immigrants on student
    visas to report any affiliations with campus social, religious, or
    political groups

    When I asked Justice spokesman Jorge Martinez about the documents I
    obtained from the American Immigration Law Foundation (AILF), an immigrant
    rights advocacy group, he declared: "Do not tell me you have forms. You do
    not. If you have something, it's something that Homeland Security created.
    As far as I'm concerned, those never existed."

    Sorry, Mr. Martinez. You may not want to acknowledge the forms' existence,
    but immigration attorneys -- who accompanied clients to the INS in December
    and January -- made copies. Though INS officials were supposed to enter all
    information directly into a computer, attorneys reported that clients were
    often asked to fill out the government forms in the waiting room, according
    to the AILF. In some cases, immigrants were given the forms as a guide to
    questioning. Some forms have the INS logo at the top, others are untitled&.

    http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2003/tc2003052_6532_tc073.htm

    Jane Black

    Reporter

    BusinessWeek Online