FC: UC Berkeley bars students arriving from SARS-affected nations

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 21:39:31 PDT

    Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 10:34:49 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhallat_private>
    To: Dave Farber <daveat_private>, Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: SARS policy at UC Berkeley...

    Declan and Dave,

    This, in itself, is probably not politech- or IP-worthy but I thought
    you two should get a heads up.

    It turns out that UC Berkeley will not allow any students from SARS
    affected countries to attend summer school... it seems that it has to
    do with liability.  That is, if they were to allow a student to come
    who later turned out to be infected with SARS, an "elaborate isolation
    procedure" would have to be initiated... and the University doesn't
    have the resources for this.  Here is the direct quote (full
    bulletin attached below):

    ---
    **Summer Session Students Arriving from Universities in Hong Kong,
    Taiwan, People's Republic of China and Singapore (see footnote):

    After close consultation with several public health officials and
    campus experts, and based on the strong recommendation of the City of
    Berkeley Health Officer, I deeply regret that we will not be accepting
    enrollments of students from these areas.  We look forward to the
    lifting of the CDC travel advisories so that we can once again welcome
    all of these students to our campus. Several hundred students will be
    affected by this decision.  Their fees will be fully refunded.  Our
    reasoning for this decision is as follows.  All of these students
    would have to be monitored for a ten-day period.  Should any of them
    develop SARS related symptoms, the CDC requires that elaborate
    procedures be implemented that would include isolation and other labor
    intensive measures that we are not able to provide currently.  If the
    CDC lifts the travel advisories to these areas, then this policy would
    no longer be in force.
    ---

    This seems to not be the full story as tourists and such from affected
    countries are not denied entry into the Bay Area... specifically, the
    University seems to not even want to take a chance on plausible
    alternatives such as requiring the students to come to the US ten days
    early and stay in a hotel (instead of the dorms).  Further, some are
    thinking that this may even violate California's Propostion 209 which
    reads (in part):

    SEC. 31. (a) The state shall not discriminate against, or grant
    preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race,
    sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public
    employment, public education, or public contracting.

    take care,
    Joe

    Joseph Lorenzo Hall                     jhallat_private
    Graduate Student                        astron.berkeley.edu/~jhall
    Astronomy Department
    601 Campbell Hall                       voice: (510) 643-8592
    University of California at Berkeley    fax  : (510) 642-3411
    Berkeley, CA 94720-3411                 face : 753B Campbell

    "The human population does not double every 18 months, but its ability
    to use computers to keep track of us does. You can't encrypt your
    face." -- Phil Zimmermann; http://news.com.com/2100-1009-998728.html