FC: Oregon legislator on Microsoft lobbying against open source bill

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 09:11:40 PDT

    From: Fred Heutte <phredat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 04:25:33 -0700
    Subject: Fw: Legislative E-Newsletter #2, Mid-May 2003

    Phil was the sponsor of the Open Source bill here this year.

    fred

    ------ mail forwarded, original message follows ------

    To: Barnhart.Repat_private
    From: Staff.Repphilbarnhartat_private <Staff RepPhilBarnhart>
    Subject: Legislative E-Newsletter #2, Mid-May 2003
    Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:28:19 -0700

    Phil's Welcome

    This is the second of what I hope will be many E-Newsletters to inform
    and enrage you about the state of affairs in Salem. I intend to write
    about the events involving Central Lane and Linn Counties (House
    District 11), the events at the Capitol, and issues involving State
    government and services in general.

    This legislature does not understand, nor does it seem to care about,
    the damage being done in Oregon to state funded services, including
    schools, colleges, universities, health care, public safety, economic
    development, or the protection of our environment. (This is identical to
    the sentence I wrote last week. It will be included until it is no
    longer true).

    I want this e-newsletter to be useful to you. Send me your comments,
    questions, and criticisms. I need your help to make our communication
    useful.

    Legislative Update

    ~~Oregon's Budget Crisis Deepens~

    No healthy family would spend money on yachts or other frills while
    neglecting the education of its children or stiffing the family doctor.
    Oregon's low tax and low spend legislature is about to do exactly that.

    A Tremendous Shortfall: The state's revenue projection has fallen short
    once again, this time in spectacular fashion. On Thursday, I sat in the
    revenue committee and listened to the state economist tell the committee
    that in 2003-2005 biennium will have $650 million less in revenue than
    was predicted in March. This means that the already meager Co-Chairs'
    and Governor's Revised budgets are out of balance by another $650
    million.

    That's $650 million less for our schools, our seniors, the disabled or
    sick, the police, prisons and courts, and our environment at a time when
    services for these areas have already been cut to the bone or
    eliminated.

    What Needs to Be Done: The days of shortchanging our kids' education
    must end. The shirking of our responsibility to Oregon's most vulnerable
    must stop. The time to raise revenue is now.

    In my last newsletter, I spoke at length about various ideas to raise
    revenue and close the shortfall. Yesterday's revenue forecast makes
    these ideas even more pertinent. We can save our schools and public
    services by utilizing any number of good, fiscally sensible ideas which
    have been proposed.

    The most important of these ideas is retaining a portion of the $6
    billion the state gives away in income tax breaks annually. But there is
    no shortage of revenue concepts, which include reducing state lottery
    commissions to restaurants and taverns from video poker machines,
    increasing the Oregon's beer and wine tax -one of the lowest in the
    nation-, and increasing Oregon's incredibly low $10 corporate minimum
    tax. The doctor-representative from Ashland, Alan Bates, has come up
    with an innovative provider tax to keep the federal dollars flowing to
    Oregon's healthcare system, a billion dollars we cannot afford to lose.

    The Outlook:  We are faced with a budget so lean that some school
    districts, health systems, and necessary public safety organizations
    will starve. These institutions are crucial to the well being of our
    kids, the sick, and all of us who may be victims of crime. To protect a
    system for an Oregon where any of us will want to live, we must have
    more state revenue. To promote the economy and the growth of good jobs
    we must have good schools and good services. That development requires
    that we have more state revenue. To date, the House Leadership has been
    unwilling to consider any substantive increase. A case in point, House
    Bill 3636, of which I am a co-sponsor appropriates $6 billion to
    Oregon's schools. The bill would guarantee a budget that would protect
    the programs our schools had two years ago. It would also force the
    legislature to consider more revenue. It has not budged from committee.
    There have been no hearings scheduled. Nothing...  The Republican
    Speaker of the House continues to sit on her hands.

    I will continue fight to do everything I can through my seat on the
    House Revenue Committee to force a discussion on raising revenue. The
    odds are very bad, however, that the Republican Majority will allow a
    discussion of real, substantive revenue increases. Our sights should be
    set on two or three billion dollars, not the couple hundred million we
    may actually see.

    Elections: If you have friends in Multnomah County or Corvallis, I urge
    you to encourage them to vote "yes" on their local tax levies. Those
    levies may be the only chance they get to save the schools in their
    areas. The people of Oregon should not count on the Republican
    leadership in this chamber to do what has to be done. We will continue
    to work in hopes they will come to their senses...

    ~~HB 2892 - Open Source Software for Oregon~

    Open Source. It sounds so simple, so inviting. My House Bill 2892, to
    allow the State to consider open source and open standards when making
    purchasing decisions for the State's vast computer systems, would save
    us millions of dollars. It mandates...nothing. It suggests giving us...
    a choice! School districts across the state are already reaping the
    benefits of a system that is more reliable, more secure and free, why
    not the State? Dare I suggest the presence of an 800 lb. gorilla (a.k.a.
    Microsoft) in the Speaker's office might have something to do with the
    very popular bill failing to emerge from House Government Committee?

    My colleagues on both sides of the aisle reported receiving volumes of
    mail supporting the sensible procurement process. Proprietary software
    costs us every time we upgrade; with 55,000 computers in the system, the
    licensing fees alone amount to about $8 million yearly. I have yet to
    hear a well-reasoned argument against saving the State money. The chair
    of the Committee stated in a work group that he "would have introduced
    this legislation had Barnhart not beat me to it." We made numerous
    concessions to the industry in the form of amendments. The Microsoft
    people simply had no desire to work out a compromise. The answer to my
    question of their lobbyist, "So, you just want this bill to go away?"
    was an unequivocal, "Yes." The answer to their question of me, "Have you
    given up on Open Source Software for Oregon?" is an unequivocal, "NO."

    I welcome your comments, thoughts and suggestions. Please feel free to
    contact my office if there is anything my staff or I can do for you. It
    is often a frustration but always an honor to serve you.

    Sincerely yours,

    Phil Barnhart

    State Representative

    Central Lane and Linn Counties

    ~~Contact Rep. Barnhart~

    Capitol:

    900 Court  St NE, H-477, Salem, OR 97301

    In-District:

    P.O. Box 71188, Eugene, OR 97401

    (503) 986-1411 * rep.philbarnhartat_private
    <mailto:rep.philbarnhartat_private>  *
    http://www.leg.state.or.us/barnhart/home.htm