FC: Responses to Public Citizen on RIAA v. Verizon case

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 15:46:11 PDT

    "Paul Levy on RIAA v. Verizon -- a different take than EFF, ACLU"

    Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:37:39 -0700
    To: declanat_private
    From: Cindy Cohn <cindyat_private>
    Subject: RIAA v. Verizon

    Hi Declan,

    I read Paul Levy's note about Public Citizen's amicus brief in the RIAA v.
    Verizon with great interest.  While I have the greatest respect for Paul
    and Public Citizen, we disagree about whether notice to the consumer alone
    is sufficient protection and 43 other groups plus Verizon agree with
    us.  We agree with Paul about the tests to be applied once you get to court.

    The list on our brief (EFF was part of a core group of drafters) is
    impressive, ranging from Consumers Union and the Consumer Federation of
    America to the Competitive Enterprise Institute and the Pacific Research
    Institute to the ACLU, to library, rural, children and domestic violence
    organizations.  It also includes nearly every major ISP and ISP
    organization in the country, and a European one. Public Citizen is alone on
    its brief claiming that the lower court's decision need not be reversed.

    By doing away with the basic rule that the right of other people to demand
    personal information about you should only exist within the confines of a
    lawsuit, DMCA 512(h) is a tremendous step backwards for privacy and
    anonymity. It improperly assumes that no one who claims copyright
    infringement will be malicious, negligent or lazy. We've already seen
    examples of all three under a sister provision of the DMCA.  You will
    notice that we started our brief with the story you broke last week about
    RIAA's admitted errors in use of that sister provision.  Inside the brief
    we list several others that we've collected at the Chillingeffects.org
    website.  Here's the first paragraph of our brief:

    "Last week, a university department of astronomy nearly had its servers
    disconnected - and
    its ability to speak on the Internet cut off - after it received a
    threatening letter from Appellee
    Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) accusing it of copyright
    infringement. The
    trigger? The department's website listed a professor with the same last
    name ("Usher") as a pop
    artist, and it allowed the download of a whimsical amateur song about gamma
    rays (performed a
    capella by some astronomers) that was closer to celestial charts than to
    anything on Billboard's Top
    20. Although the RIAA has apologized for its error, and several dozen more
    like it, if the lower
    court's decision is permitted to stand there is no telling how many future
    errors will result in clerkstamped
    subpoenas forcing the improper disclosure of individual identities.

    At stake in this litigation is whether fundamental First Amendment
    anonymity and privacy
    rights can be trampled with an unreviewed subpoena that is issued based on
    hastily generated
    paperwork and rests merely on a "good faith" allegation of copyright
    infringement."

    I don't really think the Verizon case is about copyright infringement in
    the end.  It's about whether the basic rules online will preserve the
    privacy and anonymity we enjoy offline.  The Verizon case is clearly a test
    case selected by the RIAA, but we shouldn't let the specific facts here
    blind us to the obvious problems with the statute.

    Here's the full list of co-signers to our amicus brief:

    1. ALLIANCE FOR PUBLIC TECHNOLOGY,
    2. AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF LAW LIBRARIES,
    3. AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION,
    4. AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION CAPITAL AREA,
    5. AMERICAN LEGISLATIVE EXCHANGE COUNCIL,
    6. AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION,
    7. ASSOCIATION OF RESEARCH LIBRARIES,
    8. CAPRICA INTERNET SERVICES,
    9. CITIZENS FOR A SOUND ECONOMY FOUNDATION,
    10. COMPETITIVE ENTERPRISE INSTITUTE,
    11. COMPUTER & COMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION,
    12. COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS FOR SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY,
    13. CONSUMER ACTION,
    14. CONSUMER FEDERATION OF AMERICA,
    15. CONSUMERS UNION,
    16. DIGITALCONSUMER.ORG,
    17. DIGITAL FUTURE COALITION,
    18. ELECTRONIC FRONTIER FOUNDATION,
    19. ELECTRONIC PRIVACY INFORMATION CENTER,
    20. EUROPEAN INTERNET INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION,
    21. FRONTIER & CITIZENS COMMUNICATIONS COMPANIES,
    22. INKEEPER CO.,
    23. MEDIA ACCESS PROJECT,
    24. MERCURY NETWORK CORP.,
    25. NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CONSUMER AGENCY ADMINISTRATORS,
    26. NATIONAL COALITION AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE,
    27. NATIONAL CONSUMERS LEAGUE,
    28. NATIONAL GRANGE OF THE ORDER OF PATRONS OF HUSBANDRY,
    29. NEW YORK STATE TELECOMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATION, INC.,
    30. PACIFIC RESEARCH INSTITUTE,
    31. PRIVACY RIGHTS CLEARINGHOUSE,
    32. PRIVACYACTIVISM,
    33. PROGRESSIVE INTERNET ACTION,
    34. PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE,
    35. SBC INTERNET SERVICES,
    36. SOUTHERN STAR, STIC.NET, LP,
    37. TEXAS INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER ASSOCIATION,
    38. UNITE STATES INTERNET INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION,
    39. UNITED STATES INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER ASSOCIATION,
    40. UNITED STATES TELECOM ASSOCIATION,
    41. UTILITY CONSUMERS ACTION NETWORK,
    42. WASHINGTON ASSOCIATION OF INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDERS,
    43. WIREDSAFETY.ORG,
    44.  ZZAPP! INTERNET SERVICES

    The full brief is available on the EFF website:
    http://www.eff.org/Cases/RIAA_v_Verizon/20030516-riaa-v-verizon-amicus.php

    As is our Press release:
    http://www.eff.org/Cases/RIAA_v_Verizon/20030516_pr.php

    The hearing is currently set for September 16, 2003 in DC.

    Cindy

    Cindy Cohn                            Cindyat_private
    Legal Director                          www.eff.org
    Electronic Frontier Foundation
    454 Shotwell Street
    San Francisco, CA 94110