FC: Paul Levy's rejoinder over RIAA v. Verizon & First Amendment

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 06:37:03 PDT

    Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:23:51 -0400
    From: "Paul Levy" <PLEVYat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Rejoinder from Paul Alan Levy on RIAA v. Verizon case

    Cindy Cohn's email makes two main points:  first, many many
    organizations joined her brief, and second, it would be the better rule
    if a copyright owner had to bring a lawsuit before it could get a
    subpoena issued.

    We decline to be impressed by the former argument (which Dave McCurdy
    repeats, as does Seth David Shoen though he spares us the full listing
    of endorsers -- and what a glorious listing of friends they have!).  I
    rather doubt that many courts are impressed by the inclusion of long
    lists of amici on a brief.  It is easy to sign people up for a brief
    that takes a politically satisfying stance, but so what?   Howard
    Roark's correctness or lack of correctness was not affected by the
    number of famous or important people who disagreed with him.

    The problem with the second argument is that the Court of Appeals is
    not free to substitute its judgment for Congress' about whether Cindy's
    is the better rule.  The question is whether the statute that Congress
    passed violates the Constitution.  We filed our brief because although
    some of the constitutional arguments that Verizon made seemed
    superficially attractive when I was first asked to argue them in an
    amicus brief, but in the end we thought it was unlikely that the
    arguments would prevail (if I was wrong, and they do prevail, fine).
    Having reached the conclusion, it made sense to offer the court a way in
    which it could accommodate the First Amendment and Due Process concerns
    that we share with EFF, pertaining to subpoenas issued and enforced
    without notice to the Internet user, without invalidating on its face a
    statute that was passed to address what Congress regarded as a real
    problem.

    Karl Auerbach makes a different point - that under our theory, the
    publication of the Pentagon Papers could have been blocked under
    copyright law, and copyright law should allow awards of damages but not
    injunctions against publication.  Karl is wrong in his example, because
    the federal government cannot copyright its publications (see section
    105 of the Copyright Code), and he is also wrong about the remedies
    available for copyright violations.  (see section 502, expressly
    authorizing injunctions).

    At the risk of going off on a tangent, the real threat of government
    suppression of documents like the Pentagon Papers comes not from the law
    of copyright but from the law of contract.  A few years ago I had
    occasion to represent a retired CIA official who was barred from
    publishing an analysis of the Bay of Pigs fiasco that he had prepared.
    We argued that this was really the government trying to pursue a
    copyright theory, which was forbidden, but the DC Circuit upheld the
    ruling against our client on the ground that the government COULD
    enforce his secrecy agreement through required pre-publication review.
    We made just the sort of arguments that Karl suggests, in contending
    that the secrecy agreements could allow the government to evade the rule
    against federal copyright, and it got us exactly nowhere.

    Karl also takes the Public Citizen press release to task for "blandly
    accepting" an assumption that copyright law extinguishes First Amendment
    rights.  We actually did not accept the proposition that a mere
    allegation of copyright infringement is enough to make it unnecessary to
    consider the First Amendment -- disputing that proposition is the main
    point of our brief -- but the problem with Karl's note is a deeper one.
    The Supreme Court keeps telling us that fair use analysis and other
    elements under the copyright laws incorporate First Amendment rights,
    and hence there is no room for First Amendment arguments in addition.
    Now, there have been some tantalizing tidbits in the occasional opinion
    that keep giving the free speech bar hope that some First Amendment
    claims might be tenable even when a copyright defense is not, or perhaps
    that copyright law might have to be construed in light of the First
    Amendment -- there was a passage in the recent 11th Circuit decision
    addressing the copyright-based preliminary injunction against
    publication of "The Wind Done Gone", and a nice sentence in the Eldred
    opinion.  (There is a nice discussion of some of these tantalizing
    prospects published today by in Margie Schweitzer's
    http://www.jurisnotes.com/fourquestions.htm) article by Peter Yu).
    But these are very tough arguments.  It would, in our judgment, a
    mistake to predicate the approach to DMCA section 512 on the assumption
    that such arguments are going to prevail.

    Maybe there is a situation in which the First Amendment would bar an
    injunction against a copyright infringement, but if so that argument
    could be raised in defense of the subpoena.  On the other hand, I rather
    doubt that the various people who might be identified for substantial
    violations of the copyright laws through file-sharing are worried about
    the possibility of being enjoined as much as they are worried about
    being socked for statutory damages.

    I have said all I care to say in response to  Brad Templeton's
    interesting comments, thank you for including them in your message.

    Paul Alan Levy
    Public Citizen Litigation Group
    1600 - 20th Street, N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20009