FC: Advice from sysadmins on "nice" anti-spam blacklists/blocklists

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 07:41:21 PDT

    [Thanks to the folks who responded! The depth of knowledge among Politech
    subscribers is impressive. Previous Politech message:
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-04754.html --Declan]

    ---

    Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:10:26 -0400
    From: Brad <bradat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: "Nice" Spam Filtering Respones

    Declan, I got a ton of responses after asking after a "nice" spam blocklist
    and a few people asking me to pass on any info I got, so if you'd post the
    below to the list, I'd appreciate it.

    -----------

    A "Nice" Spam Blocklist

    I got a huge number of responses, and I don't have time to respond to
    everyone, and for that I'm sorry, I thank everyone who responded, it was a
    great help.  Quite a number of people sent me what they were using, others
    pointing to a few different web sources, a couple of commercial offers, and
    a few people asking for any info I've gleaned, and one person reminding me
    that "blacklist" has some bad connotations, so I've switched to
    "blocklist", which makes sense.  So here's the lowdown:

    1) There is no one blocklist to rule them all.  It'd be really nice if
    there was one big aggregate, but it appears that there is no such
    beast.  Essentially, you need to have three to have any decent hope.  One
    open relay blocker, one proxy blocker, and one manual.

    	A) Of the Open Relay blockers, most people seemed to like ORDB (
    http://www.ordb.org ).  It scours the net looking for open relays, just
    like Orbz used to do.

    	B) Of the proxy blockers, there was no clear consensus, but
    opm.blitzed.org and proxies.relays.monkeys.com seemed to be the favorites.

    	C) Of the manual spam blockers, ones that add known spam sources manually,
    the Spamhaus SBL ( http://sbl.spamhaus.org ) is by far the most recommend,
    and probably fits the bill of the "nicest".

    	D) There is actually one aggregate.  blackholes.easynet.nl contains both a
    list of open proxies and the spamhaus sbl, but not an open relay blocker.

    2) Additionally, there are two other methods for blocklists, but I'm not so
    sure they fall under "nice".  The first is country blockers.  These block
    all e-mail from the designated country.  ( china.blackholes.us
    korea.blackholes.us  nigeria.blackholes.us ) As a business ISP, I'm not so
    sure I can just go and block whole countries, but I'll wager they would
    stop a good chunk of spam.  The second is blocking "dynamic" and "dialup"
    IP's.  Essentially, these sites try to track IP's that belong to dialup and
    cable modem users.  As someone who runs a home server off his cable modem,
    I think this is a bad idea, but others might want to consider it.

    3) Lastly, everyone seems to love SpamAssassin.  One person even sent me a
    message ten times saying I should use SpamAssassin and probably just didn't
    know how to use it properly, despite my original message stating
    SpamAssassin was not what I was looking for.  The problem is managing its
    use for 20,000 people.  Different people will want different levels of
    SpamAssassin.  I use it myself, but I have to order it in procmail
    carefully, otherwise it will mark all of my nightly root-mail and other
    cron jobs as spam.  I'm smart enough to do that.  However, I'm not going to
    be manually set it for a thousand people that get various newsletters or
    whatnot that spamassassin concludes is spam.  The overhead is too high.

    SpamAssassin is great for individual users who are savvy enough to manage
    it themselves.  However, it isn't a solution for wide-scale enforcement.
    I'm lucky if my users can find their way around MS Outlook...

    -Brad Hall
    Systems Administrator
    Crisp.Net

    ---