FC: Tim May on unintended consequences of "anti-spam" laws

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 21:50:47 PDT

    ----- Forwarded message from Tim May -----

    From: Tim May
    Subject: Unintended Consequences of Anti-Spam (A.U.C.E) Laws
    To: cypherpunks
    Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:25:49 -0700

    I hate being sucked into this ongoing spam debate, but there are just
    so many deeply wrong-headed memes floating around on this issue, and so
    much obvious chance for government mischief and intrusion, that I
    cannot resist adding more comments.

    Item: State of California has just passed a law criminalizing certain
    kinds of speech, that is, something some legislators and judges deem to
    be "unwanted commercial messages." Other states passing similar laws.
    Talk of RICO prosecutions, seizure of assets, the usual War on Some
    Drugs kind of nonsense.

    Item: How long before corporations cite spam laws to stop shareholders
    and customers from organizing campaigns against the corporations? If
    the CEO of McDonald's receives 10,000 letters from angry customers, is
    this spam? (I'll bet some of the major uses of the spam laws is along
    these lines, a kind of version of SLAPP suits (Strategic Lawsuits
    Against Public Participation).

    Item: Or is there some exemption for "political and social speech"? (I
    haven't consulted the spam laws, but I assume there is some weasel
    language about "nothing in this legislation shall be construed to
    interfere with political advocacy....") And yet some of the most
    obnoxious messages I receive are NRA spam messages--they and other
    pro-gun groups have me on their mass mailing lists. Should they be
    allowed to send this spam? Or will some causes be judged politically
    incorrect? Is it OK to send thousands of spam pictures of aborted
    foetuses to abortion advocates?

    Item: How about religion?

    Item: If either political advocacy or religion is exempted, then
    spammers can insert religious messages into their spam. "Hello, I am
    Monsignor Ubalong N'fasti, Chief Prelate of the Catholic Church in
    Lagos, Nigeria. I am in urgent need of your assistance in continuing
    God's work in our country..."

    Item: Spammers can exploit _any_ exemption in the legislation for
    religion, political advocacy, environmental advocacy, etc. Having
    legislators or judges or ministerial-level bureaucrats deciding which
    messages are "exempt from spam laws" and which are not would be a free
    speech disaster.

    And so on. There are no good reasons for letting government decide
    which speech is political, which is advocacy, what is truth and what is
    not.

    --Tim May, Citizen-unit of of the once free United States
    " The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the
    blood of patriots & tyrants. "--Thomas Jefferson, 1787

    ----- End forwarded message -----