FC: Responses to other interesting mailing lists and resources

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 11:28:02 PDT

From: David Krider <davidat_private>
To: declanat_private
Date: 29 May 2003 10:50:49 -0500

Declan,

First, I have to say that I was surprised to my actual words appear on
the list. I just figured that, if you found the question to be of merit,
you would do the asking. I appreciate the opportunity to address your
auspicious group at large. Thanks very much. I received several
the list, please leave out this first paragraph.

By far, the leader in mindshare among politech readers is "Dave Farber's
Interesting People" mailing list. The signup page was really hard to
find, though. I started from the bottom of one email in the archive, but
then I had to click through a bunch of links to eventually get to the
*IP subscription* form, and not the form that would allow me to setup my
own list. Here, for the sake of others, is the link:

http://www.listbox.com/subscribe/

I don't know how well this will go over, since I'm still trying to get
up to speed on your relationship, but...

http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/lessig/blog/

I watch this one every day already, and highly recommend it:

http://www.instapundit.com/

As a propeller-head, this one looks particularly promising.

http://www.c4i.org/isn.html

Though I'm aquainted with insecure.org, I wasn't aware of their mailing
lists page (http://lists.insecure.org/), which has several other
intriguing candidates as well, including this other recommended link:

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/

There's "Bruce Schneier's Crypto-Gram," to which I am already
subscribed, and can verify as great:

http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram.html

Probably the most promising link I received (selfishly, the best one
that *I* didn't have a clue about) was to a site called GrepLaw. It's a
little more jurisprudence-heavy than I can digest, but it seems to be a
good balance to the law side of the politech list contents.

http://grep.law.harvard.edu/

And, wow! This is an information-rich site:

http://www.statewatch.org/news/newsfull.htm

I don't have a feel for how these will will turn out, but I'm going to
give them a go. Read the first page carefully for details on how to get
the version of the list you want. Archives are available to browse for
both.

http://www.lne.com/cpunk/

I'm going to try to be careful here. I like sites like this, but I got
one response that veers very strongly towards the lunatic fringe, and I
think that's the nature of it. I'm philosophizing here, not
politicizing. These sorts of things seem -- to me -- to be on a slippery
slope. On the other hand, it makes finding one that simply presents
facts and references raw documents that much more valuable.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/news/secrecy/index.html

In that vein, I would submit one of my own. However, because it's *so*
thick with raw details of ranging topics, I don't read it much.

http://cryptome.org/

This should keep me busy for awhile. I say a HUGE "Thank you" to all who
responded.

Regards all,
dk

--
David "Dunkirk" Krider, http://www.davidkrider.com
Acts 17:28, "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."