FC: Query from reporter about Earthlink levying additional fees

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 20:13:52 PDT

    From: "Cook, John J." <JJCookat_private>
    To: "'Declan McCullagh '" <declanat_private>
    Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 21:41:54 -0500

    Declan-

    You have a wonderful little listserv going here. I was hoping you or one of
    your readers might be able to explain this e-mail I got from Earthlink, my
    ISP:

    "Dear EarthLink Subscriber,

    We're writing to let you know that you will soon see a
    change in the contents of your EarthLink invoice.

    Beginning on or after July 10, 2003, your invoice may include
    taxes and fees. The exact amount of these fees will depend
    on where you live and the type(s) of EarthLink product(s)
    and/or service(s) you have."

    So all of a sudden they've decided to start collecting taxes on my DSL
    service? Anyone know why now?

    John Cook
    Staff Reporter
    Chicago Tribune