FC: Justice Department clarifies how FBI agents "visit" libraries

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 20:16:44 PDT

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                            OPA
    MONDAY, JUNE 2, 2003                                       (202) 514-2008
    WWW.USDOJ.GOV             TDD (202) 514-1888
    STATEMENT OF BARBARA COMSTOCK, DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS,
    ON DOJ TESTIMONY REGARDING LIBRARIES:

    The New York Times inaccurately reported that Assistant Attorney General
    Viet Dinh said FBI "agents have contacted about 50 libraries nationwide in
    the course of terrorism investigations" (Eric Lichtblau, "Justice Dept.
    Lists Use of New Power to Fight Terror," May 21, 2003).  The transcript of
    the hearing, below, makes clear that AAG Dinh was speaking of ordinary
    criminal cases rather than national security cases.  Information on library
    contact in national security investigations is provided to Congress in a
    classified format, as was also noted in AAG Dinh's testimony.

    ***
    REP. CHABOT: Can you tell us how many times, if at all, library records
    have been accessed under the new FISA standards in the USA PATRIOT Act? And
    if they have been so accessed, have the requests been confined to the
    library records of a specified person?

    AAG DINH: Mr. Chairman, Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act, requires the
    Department of Justice to submit semi-annual reports to this committee and
    also to the House Intelligence Committee and the Senate counterparts on the
    number of times and the manner in which that section was used in total.  We
    have made those reports. Unfortunately, because they occur in the context
    of national security investigation, that information is classified.
    We have made, in light of the recent public information concerning visits
    to the library, we have conducted an informal survey of the field offices,
    relating to its visits to libraries. And I think the results from this
    informal survey is that libraries have been contacted approximately 50
    times, based on articulatable suspicion or voluntary calls from libraries
    regarding suspicious activities. Most, if not all of these contacts that we
    have identified were made in the context of a criminal investigation and
    pursuant to voluntary disclosure or a grand jury subpoena, in that context.
    (Transcript, House Subcommittee on the Constitution, May 20, 2003)