FC: Replies to MPAA nastygramming RatedNC-17.com over trademark

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 22:51:06 PDT

    One actual trademark attorney says:
    >I visited www.RatedNC-17.com, and really don't see anything that bears
    >on the trademark that is in the  domain name.
    >So, I would say your correspondent has a problem, and should consider
    >surrendering the name

    Subject: Re: FC: MPAA reportedly nastygrams RatedNC-17.com over trademark
             claim
    From: Erick Peirson <erickat_private>
    To: declanat_private

    If he's in the UK, how can the MPAA touch him with a U.S. Civil suit?

    Peace.
    Erick

    ---

    From: "Powers, Jamie" <JPowersat_private>
    To: "'declanat_private'" <declanat_private>
    Cc: "'nc-17@ratednc-17.com'" <nc-17@ratednc-17.com>
    Subject: RE: MPAA reportedly nastygrams RatedNC-17.com over trademark clai
    Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:32:18 -0400

    Dear Declan and nc-17,

    What is really troubling about the MPAA notice is its effective denial of
    the existence of the first amendment and the
    the concept of fair or non-trademark use of a trademark protected term.

    The letter essentially wields the trademark right as if it were a more
    absolute form of intellectual property, such as a patent.  In a way,
    trademark rights are parasitic and dependent:  They only exist if a 'host'
    supports them and should only get their market and legal recognition from
    their connection and affiliation with a particular good, service, or here
    with MPAA, with a function of certifying that things meet certain moving
    ratings criterion.  [Another example of a certification mark is the "WOOL"
    mark you see on clothes verifying they use a particular fiber.]
    What is also so surprising here is the failure of the MPAA to assert the
    actual scope of rights they hold.
    They are threatening legal action against use of the term IN ANY FORM.
    Equally intriguing is the implicit conclusion that 1) if you adopt a term
    already in use by MPAA, and 2) you are not "connected" to MPAA (actually a
    great verb choice there), then you must be acting in bad faith.
    But what was the impetus to choose the domain?  That's the key inquiry.
    And Declan, thanks for Politech, it's excellent.

    Jamie Powers

    ---