FC: AOL blocking mail from The Well? Forwarded from IP list...

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 16:31:07 PDT

    From: Bruce R Koball <bkoballat_private>
    Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:58:13 -0700 (PDT)
    To: Dave Farber <daveat_private>
    Cc: ip <ipat_private>
    Subject: a favor from IP: AOL not accepting mail...

    Dave,

    I'd like to ask a favor from the estimable IP list, if you think it's
    appropriate.

    For the past several days, AOL seems to be effectively blocking all
    email from my home system, well.com. Mail is not really being blocked
    completely or bounced - it just isn't being accepted (there is no
    response whatsoever from the AOL servers). This backup is starting to
    become a serious problem on our servers and our sysadmin has had zero
    success in trying to contact anyone at AOL who knows anything about
    this.

    I'm sure many IP'ers are familiar with the WELL, a seminal virtual
    community currently owned by Salon. It's a commercial operation, run
    professionally, and is home to thousands of users. And yes, our mail
    server has a reverse-DNS PTR record, as AOL appears to require now.  We
    also know we're not alone, having received reports from other sysops of
    similar problems.

    So, the favor I ask is that if any IP'er is in a position to help,
    either to point us to the right person (or perhaps they _are_ the right
    person) in AOL, please send me mail. Thanks!

    -brk-

    Bruce R. Koball         B. R. Koball, Inc.   (direct)   510 845-1350
    bkoballat_private        2210 Sixth St        (office)   510 548-2450
    bkoballat_private      Berkeley, CA 94710   (fax)      510 845-3946

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin, 1759

    ---