FC: Opposition grows to Georgia's "state DMCA" bill

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 20:44:37 PDT

    From: "Robert A. Costner" <rcostnerat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: GA SDMCA Golick Letter Draft
    Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:18:14 -0400

    Dear Declan, my favorite reporter:

    I'm meeting with GA Rep. Golick on Thursday morning along with other groups
    about the Georgia SDMCA bill.  Below is a near final draft of the letter I
    am taking him.  I'm waiting for other signatures to come in.

    We have comments on the bill from Georgia lawmakers at
    http://www.efga.org/ip/sdmca/analysis/legislators.html

    When I get back in town on Monday I hope to try to enlist support for a
    cosponsor to the Brownback bill.

    Robert A. Costner
    Electronic Frontiers Georgia
    http://www.efga.org/ip/sdmca/
    (703) 948-7572

    June 10, 2003

    The Honorable Richard Golick
    601 LOB
    Atlanta, GA 30334

    Re: House Bill 867--OPPOSE

    Dear Representative Golick:

    The undersigned citizens' and consumer rights groups are writing to express
    our opposition to House Bill 867.  As we stated in our April 18 letter to
    the Georgia General Assembly Public Utilities Committee (attached), this
    bill limits citizens' rights, limits legal uses of commonplace consumer
    electronics (such as Digital Video Recorders and computers) and stifles
    technological innovation and research.

    In recent weeks, policymakers in four states have stopped passage of bills
    that are substantially similar to House Bill 867. In Colorado, Governor Bill
    Owens vetoed the bill, while in Texas, Tennessee and Oregon, opposition from
    citizens and the consumer electronics companies created considerable doubt
    in the minds of state legislators about the need for these bills and the
    reach of the proposed language.

    We thank you for the time you have taken to listen to the viewpoints of
    citizens and consumer groups on this bill.  We look forward to the
    opportunity to participate in the discussion on House Bill 867 and hope to
    have something positive for you to promote when the legislature meets next
    year.

    Thank you.

    Sincerely,

    Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
    Consumer Federation of America
    Consumer Project on Technology
    Consumers Union
    Digitalconsumer.org
    Electronic Frontier Foundation
    Electronic Frontiers Georgia
    Free Software Foundation
    Public Knowledge
    US Internet Industry Association
    Dr. Gerald Lucas, Macon State College
    Dr. Hans Klein, Georgia Institute of Technology