FC: Canadian privacy commissioner investigated for wasteful spending

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 05:12:02 PDT

    Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:59:17 -0400
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    From: Jason Young
    Subject: Canada's Privacy Commissioner under investigation

    Hi Declan,

    High intrigue in the Canadian Privacy Commissioner's office. Please remove
    my email address if you post.

    Thanks,

    Jason

    ---

    Radwanski probe broadened
    The Toronto Sun
    By LOUISE ELLIOTT

    OTTAWA (CP) - A Commons committee investigating the finances of Privacy
    Commissioner George Radwanski was moving toward a decision after a marathon
    session expected to extend into the early hours of Friday morning.

    Some MPs said they were closer to a resolution on whether to recommend the
    House of Commons remove Radwanski from his post. But they said they needed
    to finish questioning at least two more people Thursday night. "There's
    something maturing," said LIberal MP Derek Lee. "We're just working hard
    and we'll finish up."

    Another committee member, who asked not to be named, said: "We know what
    we're going to do. We just have to figure out how to do it."

    Committee chair Reg Alcock wouldn't indicate which way the committee was
    leaning, saying MPs shared a "common concern" regarding financial and other
    documents.

    "There's a great deal of information on the table, and members need a
    chance after having heard all the testimony, and trying to look at all the
    contradictions, to weigh the testimony that they've heard," he said. "They
    will, I'm sure, come to some sort of conclusion."

    Dona Vallieres, Radwanski's director of communications, was to be called to
    testify Thursday night.

    Vallieres, who travelled with Radwanski on some of his international trips,
    was expected to be questioned about her own expenses after Radwanski's
    office did not initially provide them to the committee.

    Radwanski later provided the Vallieres' expenses, saying he didn't realize
    the committee wanted them as well.

    Art Lamarche, Radwanski's chief of staff was also expected to testify late
    Thursday night.

    Alcock said MPs from all parties would seek advice on how to proceed,
    noting their investigation has no precedent.

    "There's never been any kind of investigation of a House officer of this
    sort, so the committee wants to make sure that we go through all of this in
    a manner that is as responsible and as careful as we possibly can."

    http://www.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2003/06/11/109000-cp.html [Toronto Sun]

    Related articles

    http://shorl.com/dadrupryrypofry [Toronto Star]
    http://shorl.com/gadukiprustybi [Globe & Mail]