FC: One last reply on "nice" spam filters

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 21:49:50 PDT

    Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:19:54 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Joe St Sauver <JOEat_private>
    Subject: Re: "Nice" Spam Filtering Respones
    To: declanat_private, bradat_private

    Hi,

    Your recent post to politech was passed along to my by a colleague... had
    a few comments for y'all (interposed inline below):

    #	A) Of the Open Relay blockers, most people seemed to like ORDB (
    #http://www.ordb.org ).  It scours the net looking for open relays, just
    #like Orbz used to do.

    I would encourage you to also check out the mail-abuse.org RBL+ (see
    http://mail-abuse.org/rbl+ ). Not free, but pretty cheap (at for
    .edu/nonprofit type folks). It does a nice job on open relays and some
    other classes of content.

    #	B) Of the proxy blockers, there was no clear consensus, but
    #opm.blitzed.org and proxies.relays.monkeys.com seemed to be the favorites.

    I've been looking at the open proxy problem a little, and I think I'd
    suggest Wirehub/Easynet instead. Feel free to see:

    http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/proxy-dnsbl-comparison.gif

    http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/open-proxies-used-to-send-spam.html

    http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/proxies/ (this last link is for a paper
    talking about the Open Proxy Problem that I presented at the Internet2
    Member Meeting in Arlington a month or two ago; PDF and PowerPoint formats
    are provided)

    #	C) Of the manual spam blockers, ones that add known spam sources manually,
    #the Spamhaus SBL ( http://sbl.spamhaus.org ) is by far the most recommend,
    #and probably fits the bill of the "nicest".

    Yep, the SBL is definitely the correct choice there.

    #	D) There is actually one aggregate.  blackholes.easynet.nl contains both a
    #list of open proxies and the spamhaus sbl, but not an open relay blocker.
    #
    #2) Additionally, there are two other methods for blocklists, but I'm not so
    #sure they fall under "nice".  The first is country blockers.  These block
    #all e-mail from the designated country.  ( china.blackholes.us
    #korea.blackholes.us  nigeria.blackholes.us ) As a business ISP, I'm not so
    #sure I can just go and block whole countries, but I'll wager they would
    #stop a good chunk of spam.

    I would urge ASN-based blocks rather than country based blocks. There are
    definitely ISPs that don't give a damn (including Chinanet, China Netcom
    and Kornet, among others, see
    http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/spam-friendly-carriers.html ), but those
    ISPs don't necessarily fully occupy a given geographic region. :-)

    #The second is blocking "dynamic" and "dialup"
    #IP's.  Essentially, these sites try to track IP's that belong to dialup and
    #cable modem users.  As someone who runs a home server off his cable modem,
    #I think this is a bad idea, but others might want to consider it.

    We handle these via local /etc/mail/access rulesets -- works great for us
    for the most part.

    #3) Lastly, everyone seems to love SpamAssassin.  One person even sent me a
    #message ten times saying I should use SpamAssassin and probably just didn't
    #know how to use it properly, despite my original message stating
    #SpamAssassin was not what I was looking for.

    I guess I must be the one exception. I discuss a number of the reasons why
    I'm less than enthusiastic about content based filtering as a solution at
    http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/spamwar/ (presented at the Northwest
    Academic Computing Consortia meeting a week or two ago).

    #The problem is managing its
    #use for 20,000 people.  Different people will want different levels of
    #SpamAssassin.  I use it myself, but I have to order it in procmail
    #carefully, otherwise it will mark all of my nightly root-mail and other
    #cron jobs as spam.

    delay_checks allows one to exempt certain addresses from filtering if you're
    using sendmail. This should be done to insure that RFC 2142-mandated addresses
    don't filter complaints/requests for unblocking, etc.

    Regards,

    Joe