FC: Orrin Hatch: It's OK to destroy P2P pirates' computers

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 14:46:15 PDT

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6241-2003Jun17.html

    Hatch Takes Aim at Illegal Downloading

    By TED BRIDIS
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, June 17, 2003; 5:22 PM

    [...] "No one is interested in destroying anyone's computer," replied Randy
    Saaf of MediaDefender Inc., a secretive Los Angeles company that builds
    technology to disrupt music downloads. One technique deliberately downloads
    pirated material very slowly so other users can't.

    "I'm interested," [Orrin] Hatch interrupted. He said damaging someone's
    computer "may be the only way you can teach somebody about copyrights."
    The senator acknowledged Congress would have to enact an exemption for
    copyright owners from liability for damaging computers. He endorsed
    technology that would twice warn a computer user about illegal online
    behavior, "then destroy their computer."

    "If we can find some way to do this without destroying their machines, we'd
    be interested in hearing about that," Hatch said. "If that's the only way,
    then I'm all for destroying their machines. If you have a few hundred
    thousand of those, I think people would realize" the seriousness of their
    actions, he said. "There's no excuse for anyone violating copyright laws,"
    Hatch said. [...]

    ---

    Sen. Hatch's statement today:
    http://www.senate.gov/~hatch/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=205147

    HATCH COMMENTS ON COPYRIGHT ENFORCEMENT

    Washington – Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah), Chairman of the Senate Judiciary
    Committee, today issued the following statement:

    “I am very concerned about Internet piracy of personal and copyrighted
    materials, and I want to find effective solutions to these problems.

    “I made my comments at yesterday’s hearing because I think that industry is
    not doing enough to help us find effective ways to stop people from using
    computers to steal copyrighted, personal or sensitive materials. I do not
    favor extreme remedies – unless no moderate remedies can be found. I asked
    the interested industries to help us find those moderate remedies.”

    ---

    It's conceivable that Hatch is talking about the same kind of proposal that
    Rep. Berman introduced last year:
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-04035.html

    It's a complicated bill and worth reading for yourself, but one section
    says "a copyright owner shall not be liable in any criminal or civil action
    for disabling, interfering with, blocking, diverting, or otherwise
    impairing the unauthorized distribution, display, performance, or
    reproduction of his or her copyrighted work on a publicly accessible
    peer-to-peer file trading network":
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:h.r.05211: