FC: Eric Drexler on nanotechnology warnings, "nightmare dreams"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 22:34:30 PDT

    [A little late but worth it. --DBM]

    ---

    http://www.foresight.org/NanoRev/Letter.html

                   Drexler writes Smalley open letter on assemblers

                          Posted on Nanodot, April 20, 2003

        Foresight Chairman K. Eric Drexler has sent Nobel laureate Richard
        Smalley an open letter to rebut Smalley's statements that molecular
        assemblers are not possible. The letter was also sent directly to
        several dozen leading researchers, decision makers, and journalists in
        the field. Reportedly Prof. Smalley has promised a response.

         Drexler wrote to Smalley:

          Prof. Smalley:

          I have written this open letter to correct your public
          misrepresentation of my work.

          As you know, I introduced the term "nanotechnology" in the
          mid-1980s to describe advanced capabilities based on molecular
          assemblers: proposed devices able to guide chemical reactions by
          positioning reactive molecules with atomic precision. Since
          "nanotechnology" is now used label diverse current activities, I
          have attempted to minimize confusion by relabelling the longer term
          goal "molecular manufacturing". The consequences of molecular
          manufacturing are widely understood to be enormous, posing
          opportunities and dangers of first-rank importance to the long-term
          security of the United States and the world. Theoretical studies of
          its implementation and capabilities are therefore of more than
          academic interest, and are akin to pre-Sputnik studies of
          spaceflight, or to pre-Manhattan-Project calculations regarding
          nuclear chain reactions.

          You have attempted to dismiss my work in this field by
          misrepresenting it. From what I hear of a press conference at the
          recent NNI conference, you continue to do so. In particular, you
          have described molecular assemblers as having multiple "fingers"
          that manipulate individual atoms and suffer from so-called "fat
          finger" and "sticky finger" problems, and you have dismissed their
          feasibility on this basis [1]. I find this puzzling because, like
          enzymes and ribosomes, proposed assemblers neither have nor need
          these "Smalley fingers" [2]. The task of positioning reactive
          molecules simply doesn't require them.

          I have a twenty year history of technical publications in this area
          [3 - 12] and consistently describe systems quite unlike the straw
          man you attack. My proposal is, and always has been, to guide the
          chemical synthesis of complex structures by mechanically
          positioning reactive molecules, not by manipulating individual
          atoms. This proposal has been defended successfully again and
          again, in journal articles, in my MIT doctoral thesis, and before
          scientific audiences around the world. It rests on well-established

          The impossibility of "Smalley fingers" has raised no concern in the
          research community because these fingers solve no problems and thus
          appear in no proposals. Your reliance on this straw-man attack
          might lead a thoughtful observer to suspect that no one has
          identified a valid criticism of my work. For this I should,
          perhaps, thank you.

          You apparently fear that my warnings of long-term dangers [13] will
          hinder funding of current research, stating that "We should not let
          this fuzzy-minded nightmare dream scare us away from
          nanotechnology....NNI should go forward" [14]. However, I have from
          the beginning argued that the potential for abuse of advanced
          nanotechnologies makes vigorous research by the U.S and its allies
          imperative [13]. Many have found these arguments persuasive. In an
          open discussion, I believe they will prevail. In contrast, your
          attempt to calm the public through false claims of impossibility
          will inevitably fail, placing your colleagues at risk of a
          destructive backlash.

          Your misdirected arguments have needlessly confused public
          discussion of genuine long-term security concerns. If you value the
          accuracy of information used in decisions of importance to national
          and global security, I urge you to seek some way to help set the
          record straight. Endorsing calls for an independent scientific
          review of molecular manufacturing concepts [15] would be
          constructive.

          A scientist whose research I respect has observed that "when a
          scientist says something is possible, they're probably
          underestimating how long it will take. But if they say it's
          impossible, they're probably wrong." The scientist quoted is, of
          course, yourself [16].

          K. Eric Drexler Chairman, Foresight Institute

          ----------------------------

          1. Smalley, R. E. (2001) Of chemistry, love and nanobots - How soon
          will we see the nanometer-scale robots envisaged by K. Eric Drexler
          and other molecular nanotechologists? The simple answer is never.
          Scientific American, September, 68-69.
          http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~smalleyg/rick's%20publications/SA285-76.pd

          2. Drexler, K. E., D. Forrest, R. A. Freitas Jr., J. S. Hall, N.
          Jacobstein, T. McKendree, R. Merkle, C. Peterson (2001) A Debate
          About Assemblers. http://www.imm.org/SciAmDebate2/smalley.html.

          3. Drexler, K. E. (1981) Molecular engineering: An approach to the
          development of general capabilities for molecular manipulation.
          Proc. Natnl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.. 78:5275-5278.
          http://www.imm.org/PNAS.html

          4. Drexler, K. E. (1987) Nanomachinery: Atomically precise gears
          and bearings. IEEE Micro Robots and Teleoperators Workshop.
          Hyannis, Massachusetts: IEEE.

          5. Drexler, K. E., and J. S. Foster. (1990) Synthetic tips. Nature.
          343:600.

          6. Drexler, K. E. (1991) Molecular tip arrays for molecular imaging
          and nanofabrication. Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology-B.
          9:1394-1397.

          7. Drexler K. E., (1991) Molecular Machinery and Manufacturing with
          Applications to Computation. MIT doctoral thesis.

          8. Drexler, K. E. (1992) Nanosystems: Molecular Machinery,
          Manufacturing, and Computation. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
          http://www.foresight.org/NanoRev/Bookstore.html#anchor1025139

          9. Drexler, K. E. (1992) Molecular Directions in Nanotechnology.
          Nanotechnology (2:113).

          10. Drexler, K. E. (1994) Molecular machines: physical principles
          and implementation strategies. Annual Review of Biophysics and
          Biomolecular Structure (23:337-405).

          11. Drexler, K. E. (1995) Molecular manufacturing: perspectives on
          the ultimate limits of fabrication. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. London A
          (353:323-331).

          12. Drexler, K. E. (1999) Building molecular machine systems.
          Trends in Biotechnology, 17: 5-7.
          http://www.imm.org/Reports/Rep008.html

          13. Drexler, K. E. (1986) Engines of Creation: The Coming Era of
          Nanotechnology. New York: Anchor Press/Doubleday.
          http://www.foresight.org/EOC/index.html

          14. Smalley, R. E. (2000) quoted in: W. Schulz, Crafting A National
          Nanotechnology Effort. Chemical & Engineering News, October 16.
          http://pubs.acs.org/cen/nanotechnology/7842/7842government.html

          15. Peterson, C. L. Testimony before the Committee on Science, U.S.
          House of Representatives, 9 April 2003.
          http://www.house.gov/science/hearings/full03/apr09/peterson.htm

          16. Smalley, R. E. (2000) quoted in N. Thompson, Downsizing:
          Nanotechnology---Why you should sweat the small stuff . The
          Washington Monthly Online, October.
          http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2000/0010.thompson.html