FC: Dept of Homeland Security wants to be, illegally... anonymous?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 07:29:15 PDT

    Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:12:34 -0400
    From: "J.D. Abolins" <jda-irat_private>
    Subject: Fwd: You can't talk back to the Office of Homeland Security
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>

    Declan,

    I'll spare you a rambling commentary. Just forwarding this:

    We're Not Making This Up
    You can't talk back to the Office of Homeland Security
    http://hartfordadvocate.com/gbase/News/content?oid=oid:22309

    by Chris Harris

    June 26, 2003

    Homeland Security may have broken the law when it sent this fax to our
    offices without identifying itself with contact information in the margin.

    Newspaper's fax machines ring off around the clock. Here, at the Advocate,
    it's no different. But it is a rare fax that doesn't offer some kind of
    contact information -- an address, a phone number, the name of a person to
    whom questions can be directed.

    After all, if they are sending you a fax, they probably want to get your
    attention, and be available for questions if you need clarification.

    That said, this reporter was confounded last week at the arrival of several
    faxes, here at the Advocate's office, from the United States Department of
    Homeland Security, the Cabinet department created by President George W.
    Bush in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, to consolidate
    America's defenses against future and potential terrorist attacks.

    The faxes failed to include contact information for the agency's press
    offices, and did not include details concerning from where, specifically,
    the fax had come. The fax claimed to come from the Office of the Press
    Secretary, but that person wasn't named. There were no names or phone
    numbers or addresses on the fax.

    So we logged onto the Homeland Security website, looking for contact
    information No luck. However, double-clicking on the link dubbed "Contact
    Us" did lead to an online form that visitors can fill out, and submit to
    the department's offices stating what business they've got with Homeland
    Security, and perhaps, in time, get a response.

    A quick call to "411," and I was able to secure a phone number for the
    department. A simple question -- "Could I speak with the press secretary?"
    -- was met with a dismissive response from the woman who answered the phone
    at Homeland Security's press office.

    "I will tell the press secretary you called, and give him the message," I
    was informed.

    But, wait -- why is there no contact information on your fax transmissions?

    "We never have included that information on our press releases," she
    explained. "But, I'll note that. We'll look into that. We're a little
    jammed up right now. I'll pass your message along."

    We never heard back from the Office of Homeland Security, whoever they are.

    It's a little-known fact that every fax transmission must include what is
    called "identifying information," to allow recipients of said faxes the
    opportunity to respond to the whoever had sent it. That's the law -- the
    Federal Communications Commission, an independent United States government
    office requires that, at the top of all fax transmissions, the name and
    telephone number of the fax's originator be displayed.

    [...]