FC: Musicians circulate petition against RIAA suing individual P2Pers

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 14:01:38 PDT

---
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:16:11 +0100
From: iriXx <iriXxat_private>

hi Declan,

i wondered if you might be able to include our petition against the RIAA's
pursuit of individual music-lovers on Politechbot, we are very pleased to
announce that Negativland have signed the petition.

cheers,

miriam rainsford aka iriXx

For Immediate Release

MUSICIANS SAY NO TO PERSECUTION AND PROSECUTION OF MUSIC LOVERS

June 30th 2003

record labels on internet music sharing, which now include both
criminal charges and civil suits against individuals, musicians are
joining together to say NO to the action supposedly being taken on
our behalf.

Just because the major labels haven't figured out a way to make money
out of the internet doesn't mean that individuals who have shared
music should go to prison, or be forced into bankruptcy. The industry
is alienating the very people it hopes to sell music to in future
with its heavy handed action.

With its collective failure to understand the internet, or the benefit
it derives from the peer to peer networks that have sprung up in the
vacuum created by that failure, the industry has now turned to
desperate methods. Suing your customers one by one is not a business
model.

We can only assume that the intention behind these attacks on
individuals is to create an atmosphere of intimidation in which
music lovers dare not use legally acquired computers to listen to
music, except under very limited terms that the industry intends to
dictate.

As musicians we recognise and defend the right of artists to be
compensated for their work. However, these prosecutions are not
helping musicians, or helping the industry create a better system of
internet distribution.

We ask that the RIAA refrain from assuming our implicit support for
their persecution of individual music lovers, stop equating all free
online music with 'piracy', and concentrate its legal sanctions on
the organisations who are making money out of the unauthorised
duplication of our work.

We invite all musicians who support our position to add their names to
this open letter at http://www.copyleftmedia.org.uk/justsayno/

Press Contacts:
Miriam Rainsford aka iriXx <miriamat_private>
Daniel James <danielat_private>

Signed:

Negativland - www.negativland.com

Kris 'Thrash' Weston (formerly of the Orb, director of bLiP records -
www.justablip.co.uk)
iriXx (Miriam Rainsford), www.copyleftmedia.org.uk
mindlobster - www.mindlobster.com
Daniel James - www.x-11.info
sylvi macCormac - www.sylvi.ca
Carya Amara (Kevin Busby) - www.earthrid.com
George Ziemann - www.azoz.com and friends of the Wizards of AzOz:

John Hayden (Hayden's Wall)
Ian Wright (Hayden's Wall)
Michael Wright (Hayden's Wall)
Cara Hayden (Cara LaFemme)
Michael T. Wright (The Facts)
Deborah S. Staires, Ed.D.
Gene Hilbert
Chris Hattingh (Too Old to Rock)
Jenn Hartmann
Hank Tomlin
Eric St. Cyr (Ignition)
Rob Hinkal (ILYaimy)
L.Y.F.E. Kids
Robert A. Rich II (Empire Day)
Mike "Schmoo" Steely (Electric Gypsy)
Andrea Wallace (Electric Gypsy)
Ross Steely (Electric Gypsy)
Bert Ross (Jerolyn)
Chuck Heffner (aka Fat Chuck)
Steve West
John Robert Cox
Michael McElroy
Wes Wilson
William G. Hartwell
Norman P. Hodges
Badly Wooden Head
Paul Giampaolo
Jeremy Mitchel
Joshua M. Gordon
Tim Morningstar
Ryan Russell
James Danner
William Arneson
Craig Quillen
Devyn Geremia
Jeffrey L. Gleason
Zachary Korte
Patrick Saweikis
Russel W. Fausnight
Greg Starling
Anthony Kruz III
Alex Hillesland
Nathan Levinson
Philippe Larock
Ronnie Patterson
Scott Bruffey
Josh Prince
Jeffrey Buckholtz
Aaron Frazier (The Old Dogs at Play)
Joshua Dyke
Patrick Gifford Mauretti
Chad Hulsley
Neil Alan Steininger
Grant Peterson
Sgt. Abbigail Kappeler (US Army)
James Twyford
David Maruca
R. Randall Gooding
John Columbo, Jr.
Scott McFarland
Joe McGuire (tinfoilmusic.com)
Steven Davis
Benjamin A. Hunter
Nathan Marquez
Jason Walker
Joseph Szoke (BlueCollarCrime.com)
Sean McManus
David M. McLean (SDML)
Taylor Kenneth Kerns
Blase
Mike Ohrum
Wayne Smythe
Wil Wheaton
T. Spikes
Bill Sellers
Steve Franko IV
Barbara Harley
Ralph Gatton
Insane Wayne
ashleigh j
Brian R. Boyko
Marshall A. Jones (Dark Holler)
Jeff Saxton
--
  ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_     HTTP 503: Too Busy

  .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.

Musicians say No to RIAA Persecution and Prosecution of Music Lovers!

Sign the petition at http://www.copyleftmedia.org.uk/justsayno/