FC: What Ninth Circuit libel ruling means for bloggers

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 22:00:36 PDT

    From: "Xeni Jardin" <xeniat_private>
    To: "'Declan McCullagh'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Batzel v. Cremers
    Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:14:00 -0700

    http://wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,59424,00.html

    Tuesday's court ruling clarifies the reach of the immunity granted by
    the CDA to cover noncommercial publishers like e-mail list operators and
    others who take a personal role in deleting or approving messages for
    online publication.

    "Here, the court basically said that when it comes to Internet
    publication, you can edit, pick and choose, and still be protected (...)
    Some weblogs are interesting mixes of original and forwarded content, so
    this issue may come up again in the courts," EFF's Cohn said. "Where
    that legal line is drawn may become a point of contention."

    Ellen Batzel says the case changed her life.

    "This was a small, North Carolina mountain town -- I talked to the
    (district attorney) and he said 'Get a dog, get a gun, get a security
    system or better yet get out of town.' I sold my house and moved. I've
    been hurt in my professional reputation and in my private life.

    "I know what free speech is, and I support it, but this is about
    invasion of privacy and my civil liberty. Every time I meet someone now,
    I have to say, 'Hi, I'm not Himmler's granddaughter."