FC: Canadian privacy commissioner resigns after investigation

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 08:22:10 PDT

    Politech archive:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=Radwanski

    ---

    From: David Akin <dakinat_private>
    To: "'declanat_private'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Canada's privacy commish resigns -- says he was forced out for be
    	ing too good at his job
    Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:25:38 -0400

    Hi Declan --

    Canada's privacy commissioner, George Radwanski, resigned today after a
    political furor over his spending habits. He billed things like $400 lunches
    for two to the taxpayer. Radwanski says his political overseers were out to
    get him because he was too good at his job and upset some political
    applecarts.

    His resignation letter is online at:
    http://www.privcom.gc.ca/media/nr-c/2003/02_05_b_030623_e.asp

     >From that:

    "I have been forced out.
    For the past nearly three years, I have worked tirelessly to oversee and
    defend the privacy rights of all Canadians.
    Regrettably the aggressiveness, independence, and perhaps effectiveness of
    my approach has provoked a powerful political backlash from some who would
    prefer a less forceful Privacy Commissioner. For the past two weeks, I have
    been the target of an extraordinary and unprecedented assault on my
    character, reputation and credibility."

    =================================
    And here are some links with the background on that "unprecedented assault"

    Radwanski faces staff protest, tax probe
    Ottawa - On the day he told a Commons committee he was out of town and
    couldn't appear to defend his office budget, George Radwanski took Prime
    Minister Jean Chretien's senior policy adviser to lunch in Ottawa, a
    committee member says.
    [Full story at: http://tinyurl.com/f29s]

    June 18: Pressure grows on Radwanski to resign
    OTTAWA -- The head of a parliamentary committee reviewing the fate of George
    Radwanski yesterday pressed the privacy commissioner to resign as the panel
    began drafting a report recommending that he be fired . . .
    [Full story at: http://tinyurl.com/f2ae]

    June 17: Radwanski expensed $444 dinner
    OTTAWA -- Privacy commissioner George Radwanski always requested the table
    with the best view at the restaurants where he dined, such as at Le Panaché
    in Gatineau, Que., where the bill was $444.49 for dinner for two, according
    to evidence before a Commons committee.
    Over a period of two years, Mr. Radwanski filed expense claims for many
    lunches and dinners, often at the finest restaurants in Gatineau or across
    the river in Ottawa, such as a $233 meal for two and another for $256 at the
    Chateau Laurier's plush restaurant, Zoe's . . .
    [Full story at: http://tinyurl.com/f2ai]

    David Akin
    CTV News
    The Globe and Mail