FC: The Nation finally realizes that eBay is cozy with the cops

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 22:05:58 PDT

    I invited eBay to respond to a Feb 2003 report that raised the same concerns:
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-04485.html
    To the best of my knowledge, eBay never responded to my invitation.

    Since then, I've spoken with people who have attended meetings where eBay
    representatives have met with law enforcement to discuss this kind of
    information sharing. These people confirmed the Feb 2003 report that
    appeared in Ha'aretz, an Israeli newspaper.

    http://thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030707&s=engle

        June 20, 2003
        Buyer Bewaree Bay Security Chief Turns Website Into Arm of the Lawby
        Jonah Engle

        Speaking at a conference this winter on Internet crime, eBay.com's
        director of law enforcement and compliance, Joseph Sullivan, offered
        law-enforcement officials extensive access to personal customer
        information.

        Founded in 1995 as a niche site for collectibles, eBay quickly grew
        into one of the Internet's largest websites, currently boasting 69
        million daily visitors, who place an average of 7.7 million bids each
        day. The company, now valued at $29.6 billion, has become synonymous
        with online shopping, and is rapidly expanding overseas.

        The talk, "Working with Law Enforcement," was delivered at the
        CyberCrime 2003 conference in Mashantucket, Connecticut. Sullivan, who
        left the Justice Department to become senior counsel for rules, trust
        and safety at eBay last year, told the audience of law-enforcement
        officials and industry executives that he didn't "know another website
        that has a privacy policy as flexible as eBay's," seemingly meaning
        that eBay acts particularly quickly to grant law enforcement extensive
        access to user information without regard to established legal
        procedures that protect individuals from civil rights abuses by the
        state.

        Brags Sullivan, "If you are a law-enforcement officer, all you have to
        do is send us a fax with a request for information, and ask about the
        person behind the seller's identity number, and we will provide you
        with his name, address, sales history and other details--all without
        having to produce a court order." (eBay itself goes further than this,
        employing six investigators who are charged with tracking down
        "suspicious people" and "suspicious behavior.")

        Seventy percent of eBay customers, as well as a significant portion of
        the rest of the online commercial world, make their purchases using
        (eBay-owned) Paypal, which provides clearing services for online
        financial transactions. Through Paypal, eBay has access to the
        financial records of tens of millions of customers. "If you contact
        me," said Sullivan to assembled law-enforcement authorities, "I will
        hook you up with the Paypal people. They will help you get the
        information you're looking for.... In order to give you details about
        credit-card transactions, I have to see a court order. I suggest that
        you get one, if that's what you're looking for."

        [...]