FC: Katherine Strandburg on PhD dissertations, Total Info Awareness

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 22:29:40 PDT

    Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:12:37 -0500
    From: "Katherine Strandburg" <kstrandbat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: "The Department of Homeland Security ate my dissertation..."

    Does it occur to anyone that this is just the argument against TIA
    inverted?  As private citizens, we're all concerned about what happens when
    the government puts together a bunch of publicly availalbe information,
    because we intuitively feel that the whole is more than the sum of its
    parts.  Now the government is saying the same thing, isn't it?  As someone
    who is no fan of TIA and is a fan of folks using public information in
    their PhD dissertations, I find the analogy thought-provoking.

    Katherine J. Strandburg
    Assistant Professor of Law
    DePaul College of Law
    (312) 362-8536