FC: RIAA finally acts: Sues individual P2P users

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 10:08:37 PDT

    Everyone has been expecting this for a while. See previous Politech message:
    "RIAA to P2P users: the gloves are coming
    off"

    ** 1PM EST EMBARGO **

    Embargoed until 1pm EST
    Monday, September 8, 200
    http://www.riaa.com

    RECORDING INDUSTRY BEGINS SUING P2P FILE SHARERS WHO ILLEGALLY OFFER
    COPYRIGHTED MUSIC ONLINE

    Will Agree Not to Sue P2P Users Who Voluntarily Pledge to Stop Distributing
    Music Illegally

    Copyright Infringement Claims Filed Against Hundreds of Major Offenders
    In First Round of Potentially Thousands of Lawsuits

    Lawsuits Part of Industry's Multi-Prong Approach That Includes
    New Business Models and Education

    WASHINGTON (September 8, 2003) The Recording Industry Association of
    America (RIAA) announced today that its member companies have filed the
    first wave of what could ultimately be thousands of civil lawsuits against
    major offenders who have been illegally distributing substantial amounts
    (averaging more than 1,000 copyrighted music files each) of copyrighted
    music on peer-to-peer networks. The RIAA emphasized that these lawsuits
    have come only after a multi-year effort to educate the public about the
    illegality of unauthorized downloading and noted that major music companies
    have made vast catalogues of music available to dozens of new high-quality,
    low-cost, legitimate online services.

    At the same time, the RIAA announced that the industry is prepared to grant
    what amounts to amnesty to P2P users who voluntarily identify themselves
    and pledge to stop illegally sharing music on the Internet.  The RIAA will
    guarantee not to sue file sharers who have not yet been identified in any
    RIAA investigations and who provide a signed and notarized affidavit in
    which they promise to respect recording-company copyrights.

    "For those who want to wipe the slate clean and to avoid a potential
    lawsuit, this is the way to go," said Mitch Bainwol, RIAA Chairman and
    CEO.  "We want to send a strong message that the illegal distribution of
    copyrighted works has consequences, but if individuals are willing to step
    forward on their own, we want to go the extra step and extend them this
    option."

    "Nobody likes playing the heavy and having to resort to litigation," said
    RIAA president Cary Sherman. "But when your product is being regularly
    stolen, there comes a time when you have to take appropriate action. We
    simply cannot allow online piracy to continue destroying the livelihoods of
    artists, musicians, songwriters, retailers, and everyone in the music
    industry."

    Since the recording industry stepped up the enforcement phase of its
    education program, public awareness that it is illegal to make copyrighted
    music available online for others to download has risen sharply in recent
    months. According to a recent survey by Peter D. Hart Research Associates,
    fully 61% of those polled in August admitted they knew such behavior was
    against the lawup from 54 percent in July and 37 percent in early June,
    prior to the announcement.

    "We've been telling people for a long time that file sharing copyrighted
    music is illegal, that you are not anonymous when you do it, and that
    engaging in it can have real consequences," said Sherman. "And the message
    is beginning to be heard.  More and more P2P users are realizing that there
    are dozens of legal ways to get music online, and they are beginning to
    migrate to legitimate services. We hope to encourage even the worst
    offenders to change their behavior, and acquire the music they want through
    legal means."

    Over the past year, the RIAA has also worked closely with the university
    community to combat piracy.  In recognition of the seriousness of the
    problem, colleges across the country are implementing new restrictionsand
    issuing severe warningsto discourage the swapping of pirated music and
    movies over high-speed campus Internet connections.

    Additional education efforts include more than four million Instant
    Messages sent since May directly to infringers on the Kazaa and Grokster
    networks warning them that they are not anonymous when they illegally offer
    copyrighted music on these networks and that they could face legal action
    if they didn't stop. The RIAA sent such a warning notice to virtually every
    Kazaa and Grokster user who was sued today.

    "Obviously, these individuals decided to continue to offer copyrighted
    music illegally notwithstanding the warnings," said Sherman.  "We hope that
    today's actions will convince doubters that we are serious about protecting
    our rights."

    In today's first round of lawsuits, RIAA member companies filed copyright
    infringement claims against more than 250 individual file sharers.

    The RIAA announced on June 25 that it would be gathering evidence in order
    to bring lawsuits in September against computer users who illegally
    distribute copyrighted music through such peer-to-peer file distribution
    networks as Kazaa and Grokster. Individuals caught distributing copyrighted
    files on Kazaa, Grokster, Imesh, Gnutella, and Blubster were targeted in
    this initial round.

    Since it announced its lawsuit plans, the RIAA has been contacted by a
    number of illegal file sharers expressing concern over their actions and
    wanting to know what they could do to avoid being sued.  In response, the
    RIAA has decided not to pursue users who step forward before being targeted
    for past illegal sharing of copyrighted works.  Instead, those who want to
    start fresh will be asked to sign a declaration pledging they will delete
    all illegally obtained music files from their hard drives and never again
    digitally distribute or download music illegally. Detailed information on
    how to apply and qualify for this amnesty is available at the web site
    www.musicunited.org.

    Over the past year, an unprecedented campaign by a coalition of
    songwriters, recording artists, music publishers, retailers, and record
    companies has heightened music fans' awareness of the devastating impact of
    illegal file sharing. A series of print and broadcast ads featuring top
    recording artists, as well as numerous press interviews by music industry
    figures, have conveyed the message that file sharing not only robs
    songwriters and recording artists of their livelihoods, it also undermines
    the future of music itself by depriving the industry of the resources it
    needs to find and develop new talent.  In addition, it threatens the jobs
    of tens of thousands of less celebrated people in the music industry, from
    engineers and technicians to warehouse workers and record store clerks.

    At the same time, the industry has responded to consumer demand by making
    its music available to a wide range of authorized online subscription,
    streaming and download services that make it easier than ever for fans to
    get music legally and inexpensively on the Internet. These services also
    offer music reliably, with the highest sound quality, and without the risks
    of exposure to viruses or other undesirable material.

    Federal law and the federal courts have been quite clear on what
    constitutes illegal behavior when it comes to "sharing" music files on the
    Internet.  It is illegal to make available for download copyrighted works
    without permission of the copyright owner.  Court decisions have affirmed
    this repeatedly.  In the recent Grokster decision, for example, the court
    confirmed that Grokster users were guilty of copyright infringement. And in
    last year's Aimster decision, the judge wrote that the idea that "ongoing,
    massive, and unauthorized distribution and copying of copyrighted works
    somehow constitutes 'personal use' is specious and unsupported."

    A number of other music community leaders expressed support for strong
    enforcement against egregious instances of copyright theft.

    Bart Herbison, Executive Director, Nashville Songwriters Association
    International:
    "When someone steals a song on the Internet it is not a victimless
    crime.  Songwriters pay their rent, medical bills and children's'
    educational expenses with royalty income.  That income has been
    dramatically impacted by illegal downloading, so many have reassessed their
    careers as songwriters.  It breaks my heart that songwriters are choosing
    other professions because they cannot earn a living  in great part due to
    illegal downloading."

    Thomas F. Lee, President, American Federation of Musicians of the
    United States and Canada:
    "No one is eager to see copyright infringement lawsuits against
    individuals.  But copyright infringement hurts many thousands of other
    individuals.  Most musicians who depend on CD sales and legal downloading
    are not wealthy mega-celebrities.  They are artists struggling to succeed
    without a 'day job.'  They are ordinary session musicians who depend on
    union-negotiated payments that fall drastically when sales fall.  They are
    songwriters who depend on royalties to put food on the table.  The AFM has
    said it before: Musicians make music for love, but they can't afford to do
    it without an income.  The AFM urges all music fans to support artists by
    using only legal means to distribute and obtain music."

    Lamont Dozier, Legendary songwriter:
    "I wish people who are practicing illegal file sharing would stop for a
    moment and think about the damage that is being done here, and step in the
    shoes of people who have families and children, who have been laid off from
    jobs they've held for over 20 years. In a time where jobs are very hard to
    come by, and you find yourself forced to be un-employed, because the
    business is falling apart, deals aren't being made, record stores are
    closing, lay-offs are happening world-wide in every aspect of music, from
    cd packers to guitar players to secretarys to hopeful songwriters and
    artists, who will not have a music industry any longer.,  People are being
    lied to  about the damage that piracy and illegal file sharing is doing to
    our country, not just to the music industry, but it is effecting every
    aspect of our lives. Each business in this country is linked to each other,
    and all industries are failing and the economy is falling apart. Illegal
    file sharing is one of these cancerous straws that are breaking the camel's
    back."

    Frances W. Preston, President of BMI:
    "Illegal downloading of music is theft, pure and simple. It robs
    songwriters, artists, and the industry that supports them or their property
    and their livelihood. Ironically, those who steal music are stealing the
    future creativity they so passionately crave. We must end the destructive
    cycle now."

    Rick Carnes, President, Songwriters Guild of America:
    "It breaks my heart to see the great songs of American songwriters
    electronically shoplifted by the millions every day. Like everyone else,
    songwriters can't make a living if we aren't paid for our hard work. We
    have done all that we could to educate and warn the public that rampant
    internet piracy is killing our music. Anyone still sharing copyrighted
    music files without the permission of the copyright holder should know what
    they are doing is not only wrong, it is illegal."

    National Association of Recording Merchandisers:
    "NARM believes the RIAA has the right to act on behalf of copyright holders
    and recording artists to protect their rights, their interests and their
    creative works as the law provides."

    Gary Himelfarb, President, RAS Records:
    "In 1981, as an aspiring entrepreneur and reggae music lover, I started a
    small label (RAS Records) in the basement of my home right outside of
    Washington DC. I did this, like so many other independent label owners (of
    which there are literally thousands of-as compared to only 4 majors) not to
    make millions of dollars, but instead to create music which I loved and to
    have a profession that I loved doing each day.

    "Over the years we created over three hundred full length CDs and I have
    been able to support myself and my wife and two kids. I have always
    considered myself to be very fortunate to do what I love, fairly compensate
    the artists and writers I work with and build a company that has respect
    and integrity within the music industry.

    "The way independent labels have always made money is by selling catalog,
    since we are not able to promote our songs on radio and create hits, like
    the majors. The majors, although they also over time create impressive
    catalogs, depend on the sales of 'hit' records to generate the income they
    need to run their companies. We independents have always depended on
    catalog sales.

    "We have always had consistent sales of our catalog titles, even if a
    release was 10 years old. Since the invention of Napster and other illegal
    file sharing activities, the independent labels have experienced a serious
    drop in the sales of our catalogs. It is not mere coincidence that this
    drop off has occurred concurrently with the advent of peoples ability to
    get music for free on the Internet.

    "As an independent label owner who has now seen my sales consistently
    shrink from year to year, I am firmly against the activities of people and
    companies who allow my music to be illegally downloaded on the Internet. I
    am strongly in favor of allowing legal websites to offer my music for a
    fair price (and sometimes even free-with my prior permission) and look
    forward to participating in the legal digital distribution of music.

    "If it is necessary to prosecute those who are purposely sharing large
    numbers of music files without regard for the artists, writers and labels
    that work so hard day in and day out, then so be it. If we do not get this
    problem under control, the public will suffer as less entrepreneurs like
    myself will be willing to invest their time or money into creating music
    catalogs for the world to enjoy."

    Bill Velez, President and COO, SESAC:
    "In the current atmosphere of widespread online copyright piracy, SESAC
    endorses efforts to protect the livelihoods of songwriters and music
    publishers and the sanctity of intellectual property."

    Bruce Iglauer, President, Alligator Records:
    "No one is hurt more by the illegal 'sharing' of copyrighted music than
    the independent artist and the independent record label.  The struggling
    indies already occupy a much smaller market share than the majors. The
    independents' loss of income from the elimination of even a small number of
    sales can be the difference between whether much independent music is
    recorded or not.  If this proliferation of the theft of the creations of
    artists continues, less and less music will be recorded.  The public must
    be educated about the real results stealing music from its creators.

    "It is unfortunate that the problem of illegal 'sharing' of copyrighted
    music has grown to the point where legal action is necessary, but that is
    the case.  Until such time as the public is jarred into awareness, it is
    the sad necessity that the people who create and own the music must
    aggressively defend themselves from having their creations stolen."

    Sharon Corbitt, Nashville Studio Manager:
    "As studio manager of Ocean Way Nashville and my 19 years on Music Row, I
    have seen our industry go through many changes. We are faced with even
    larger obstacles than ever due to the illegal downloading of music on the
    internet. It may seem extreme to people to pursue legally those who
    continue to "illegally obtain music on a daily basis" . Illegal downloading
    of music is the same as someone walking into your home and stealing
    something that you had created and was of value. People make their livings
    creating music. The cost of a recording is covered by that recording being
    sold to consumers. In the end, the consumer suffers from illegal
    downloading because proper funding will not be available to cover the cost
    to produce that recording.

    "A songwriter has a job just like an electrician or a computer programmer.
    They sit down and write songs in the hopes that their creation will be
    recorded by an artist and eventually purchased by the consumer. That's how
    they make their money. By illegally downloading music we are effecting the
    creation of the music itself. The quality of music will suffer and the
    consumer will in return suffer. Music is healing. You would only want the
    best medicine and doctors to fight a disease.  Illegal downloading is not
    allowing the 'best cure' to find its way to the person seeking healing.
    Something has got to change or we are all going to regret what the final
    outcome will be, no more quality music, fewer healing words..."

    Courtney Proffitt, Executive Director of the Association for Independent Music:
    "The Association for Independent Music has been educating people for the
    past year that online music piracy is hurting everyone in the music
    industry  not just the major labels.  The independent sector has been hard
    hit the past few years, even though this is the sector that often has the
    most innovative and creative music production.  The small indie labels are
    struggling to promote and sell their music, in order to stay in
    business.  If they are not getting paid for the music they create, they
    cannot continue to operate.  This results in a loss to our overall culture.

    "Many talented musicians are no longer receiving royalty payments that they
    have been depending upon as income.   These royalty payments were
    supporting them and helping them to continue their craft: creating new
    music for the public's enjoyment.  With the loss of this revenue, many
    musicians have had to quit and find "day jobs" to make a living.   I
    consider this to be a loss for everyone.

    "Additionally, my organization has independent music retail as
    members.  Many of the independent music stores have lost revenue due to
    illegal downloading, and loss of customer base.   They are having trouble
    continuing to stay in business as the "local record store."  Many have been
    forced to close their doors due to this downturn in business, and it also
    affects the economy of the community where they are located.

    "I urge people to be aware of this situation, and the consequences that are
    the result of illegal downloading of music.  It is not just hurting an
    anonymous "music industry".  It is hurting real people such as the artists
    who create the music, people who promote and distribute the music, all the
    way to the music store clerk  who works at your local music retailer."

    Chuck Cannon, President, Wacissa River Music, Incorporated:
    "I'm a professional songwriter. This means I provide for my family by
    receiving a royalty when a CD containing one of my songs sells. This also
    means if you acquire possession of one of my songs without paying for it,
    you have intercepted my paycheck. That makes you a criminal.

    "If you engage in illegal downloading, that is, if you download a song
    without paying for it, you are a common thief.  If you allow your children
    to engage in illegal downloading, you are telling them 'in our home,
    thievery is acceptable.'  If you are a college administrator and you turn a
    blind eye to illegal downloading on your campus, you are encouraging
    larceny in your hallowed halls of education."

    Mike Negra, President, Mike's Video:
    "Mike's Video continues to see the effects of illegal downloading and
    burning. Our chain has shrunk from five stores to one, resulting in a loss
    of 12 music-oriented jobs and over $2 million dollars a year in music
    revenue. Even with that consolidation, we face an uncertain future due to
    the core customers of our town, 42,000 Penn State University
    students.  This year's results to date show sales down 45% overall versus
    2002. The single store comparable is down 6.2%.

    "The message of zero tolerance towards digital thievery needs to be
    delivered to those who continue to ignore the obvious. The facts of the
    situation are people are buying less music and record stores are going out
    of business. This is a direct result of illegal downloading and burning and
    is especially prevalent in college towns such as State College.

    "The story of stores like Mike's is being played out across the country
    next to or on college campuses. It is one the downloading public isn't
    aware of or concerned about.  I applaud the effort the RIAA has given this
    problem but I don't believe either of us are satisfied with the results.
    The continuation of lawsuits and awareness towards the overall ill effects
    throughout the industry is paramount if we hope to save the industry we all
    love.

    "I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help save or reshape the music
    business and change the attitudes that exist. Maybe it will help
    personalize the deep effects this so-called victimless crime has had."

    Cecilia Carter, the R&B Foundation:
    "The R&B Foundation provides medical and financial assistance to older
    musicians.  Many of the people we serve can barely survive without our help
    and the few dollars they receive from royalty payments.  The downloading
    and sharing of music files, negatively impacts the amount of royalty
    payments received by our artists.  Although the amount of money may seem
    insignificant at the time you are getting it for free, it can mean the
    difference in a musician's ability to pay rent or face homelessness.  We
    strongly support the music industry's effort to stop free downloading and
    file sharing. It is a matter of survival to our constituents."

    John W. Styll, President, Gospel Music Association:
    "The gospel music community has not been immune from the financial damage
    caused by those who illegally obtain music through downloading. Some may
    argue that it is an act of ministry to give Christian music away. The GMA
    certainly believes that it is good for people to be exposed to the message
    of gospel music, just as it would be good for people to read the Bible, but
    stealing either music or Bibles cannot be justified. It's unfortunate that
    the music industry has had to resort to prosecution to deter theft, but
    there seems to be no other choice and thus we lend our support. And as
    believers in the concept of grace, we are glad to support the amnesty
    program as well."

    Dale Mathews, President, Christian Music Publishers Association:
    "The surge and volume of illegal file-sharing over the past several years
    cry out for action rooted in strength. This latest legal action by the
    Music Coalition meets that criteria and is supported by the Church Music
    Publishers Association.  We feel it is the small, grass roots writer who is
    most severely damaged by the all too common illegal acts of file-sharing."

    Members of the Tennessee Songwriters Association:

    Tom Mobley:
    "It is, of course, illegal.  It robs from everyone.  Many great songs will
    never be heard because they will not be on a CD or cassette with a hit
    song.  If a CD sells a million so does every song on it. If someone
    downloads only one song, the others will never be heard."

    Jan Johnson:
    "I am a songwriter, and even though I have not received any royalties to
    this date, I think it is so absolutely absurd that people have the
    mentality about using someone else's product for free."

    Clark Snyder:
    "I think we need TV and radio spots like Hollywood is doing for illegal
    movie downloading.  Creating a legal downloading system is the key.  I
    would infiltrate illegal sites with legal downloading options that pop up
    like some other sites are now doing effectively.  More artists & writers
    need to tale the risk and stand up and take a public stand on this matter."

    Donna DeSopo:
    "Doesn't illegal say it all?  This is against the law.  Music is a creative
    intellectual property and the creators are entitled to earn a profit.  They
    own it and no one should steal their work.  Great music comes with a price,
    because it is priceless."

    Harry Date:
    "It's wrong, but people won't stop doing it until they fear the penalty for
    doing so.  The current industry approach is the correct response  go after
    them."

    Ann Roux:
    "I'd like to ask one question of those who defend this illegal
    activity.  How would you like it if I just waltzed into your house and
    walked out carrying every belonging of yours I felt like owning and not
    paying for?  That's how I feel about it."

    D.R. Theroux:
    "Illegal music downloading is a form of theft, the taking of intellectual
    property.  Such theft degrades the songwriting profession greatly."

    Donna Dean:
    "More education is needed on illegal downloading to let people know that
    even though the record companies and recording artists may be filthy rich,
    most songwriters are not."

    Rodney Hayden:
    "Downloading music from the Internet is nothing more than stealing, plain
    and simple.  It is also an easy way steal.  It's about time people in the
    music industry come together and legally put an end to this abomination."

    Hugh Prestwood, number-one Country Music hit songwriter:
    Dear File-sharers,

    What is becoming increasingly clear is that the great majority of you truly
    feel no guilt about the "sharing" of what I have created and own -- my
    music.  You have lumped together many professions  artists, songwriters,
    engineers, producers, publishers, etc. into one big ugly corporate
    caricature -- a rich and corrupt industry that can be stolen from
    remorselessly.  Additionally, in your "yes, Virginia, there is a free
    lunch" mentality, you have unthinkingly devalued songs to the extent that
    you perceive them as trifles  something of little value to be partaken and
    enjoyed at no cost.  Moreover, you have unfairly condemned me and my record
    industry peers for bringing the law to bear against you.  In classic "blame
    the victim" reasoning, you lay the responsibility for my losses at my feet,
    saying, in essence, that the problem is not your theft, but rather my
    inability to prevent it.

    Well, file-sharers, I righteously say "bull."  I, songwriter/publisher,
    labored for years to create those songs, and I really do legally own
    them.  I  not you -- have the right to control what happens to them, a
    right your technology does not trump.  You are dead wrong to simply give my
    songs away and undermine my only chance to profit from my creations.  Don't
    tell me that I should gracefully pardon your hand in my pocket.  Don't
    insinuate to me that, because your thievery is so facile, perhaps I should
    find some other way to make a living.  Your "hobby" is taking the bread off
    my table, and I have every right to use any and all legal means possible to
    discourage your destructive practices.

    Let us come together.  You often love what I create, and I need to make a
    living.  I have been trying for several years now to find a way for us both
    to be happy  where you can easily acquire my songs and I can be justly
    rewarded for my creativity.  Try as I might, however, thus far I have been
    unable to find a way to compete with "free".  You must help me.

    First, you must wake up from your fantasy that songs should rightly be
    free, and that no one is being hurt by your theft.  I and all my fellow
    songwriters (among others) are seeing our futures seriously
    threatened.  Second, you must "raise your consciousness" to where you
    understand that a career in music is brutally serendipitous and difficult
    to maintain.  The ability of artists and songwriters to have any kind of
    dependable, longer-term, income is entirely linked to their ability to
    control their copyrights.   Without copyright protection, aspiring artists
    and songwriters had best not ever consider quitting their day jobs.

    Finally, you must realize that in real life you really do get what you pay
    for.  If you won't pay for music, you will soon be receiving a product
    commensurate with your thriftiness.  A society that doesn't value a
    commodity enough to pay for it will soon see the creation and production of
    that commodity cease.

    --Hugh Prestwood

    # # #

    ---

    Music Community's Multi-Pronged Campaign
    Is On Track

    The music community's multi-pronged campaign to deter the illegal
    distribution of copyrighted works online and encourage the continued growth
    of the legitimate online services is on track.

    GOAL:  To foster a business environment where legitimate online music
    services can grow and thrive.
    Progress Report

    	fast growing acceptance and recognition that offering substantial amounts
    of copyrighted music without the permission is illegal and that these
    lawsuits are open-and-shut cases ("Even Fred von Lohmann, an attorney for
    the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which has aided in the defense of many
    tech companies accused of copyright infringement, said he's hard-pressed to
    come up with a defense under current law for someone who copies millions of
    files and then makes them available, without permission, to the world via
    the Internet."  File-Traders in the Crosshairs, CNET News.com, July 15, 2002)

    	evidence that a deterrence campaign against egregious offenders will
    work:   recent research by Forrester shows that 68 percent of online youth
    would stop downloading if faced with the threat of fines or jail time
    (FYI:  The U.S. Department of Justice recently announced the first ever
    criminal copyright infringement guilty plea for a man who was part of an
    Internet piracy group specializing in the distribution of pre-released
    music which eventually seeded peer-to-peer services and other distribution
    channels).

    	encouraging signs from independent research analysts such as Nielsen and
    NPD group that the deterrence message is beginning to affect people's behavior

    	evidence collection on public peer-to-peer networks on track and continuing

    	universities and colleges responding to information subpoenas and
    providing identifying information of those who are illegally offering
    substantial amounts of copyrighted music on public peer-to-peer networks

    	virtually every ISP complying with obligations under the law and providing
    identifying information of those who are illegally offering substantial
    amounts of copyrighted music on public peer-to-peer networks

    	continued development and expansion of the legitimate online music
    marketplace, with reports of additional, exciting new services expected to
    be launched in the coming months.