FC: Entrepreneurial British government finds new ways to snoop

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 23:25:22 PDT

    Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 13:18:40 +0100
    To: declanat_private
    From: Thomas Scott <thomasat_private>
    Subject: The Snoopers' Charter: It's back...

    No doubt you'll be receiving a dozen or so emails with this in today, but
    just in case: the Snoopers' Charter's making a comeback, courtesy of a Home
    Office announcement on Friday.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3104054.stm

    The draft will allow snooping on email traffic, phone traffic, and *mobile
    phone location details* to - amongst others - the Financial Services
    Authority, the Gaming Board, the Charity Commission, and... oh, yes, every
    single local authority.

    Because we all know how absolutely trustworthy every single member of every
    district and city council in Britain is.

    Oh, and in case anyone forgot, they'll be able to get this information
    without a warrant. Time to crank up STAND and FaxYourMP again, I think.

    ---